Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda's quality & reliability

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2000, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On other forums, a question keeps popping up about the quality/reliability of Honda. Is Honda slipping or others gaining?

The question:

Has your ride every broke down & left you stranded?

Rancher - 700 miles, no breakdowns
Recon - around 600 miles, no breakdowns
ETon- 1 fouled plug (Yeah, I know its not a Honda)

How is your ride doing?

Old 10-16-2000, 06:20 PM
Pro Rider

"Other forums?"

I'd consider the source, Snowshark!

For example, how much space do these guys in the "other forums" spend discussing ATV's and ATVing, and how much whining, wallowing in self-pity, and bashing?

Just a thought. Rather than an arena for discussing ATV's and ATVing, you may have found a haven for soreheads and malcontents; I'd weigh their comments on substantive issues, like Honda quality and reliability, accordingly; especially if the critics ride other brands.

Diogenes

Old 10-16-2000, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

Don't forget just because you have a problem come up here there does't make it any less durable in the long run.I have had many atv's and put many miles on theme and honda has defenetly been the durable in the long hall.By the way I have owned all brands sold with the exception of artic cat.

Old 10-16-2000, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

00 Xplorer 400cc 4x4

No breakdowns
Never left me stranded

99 500cc Sportsman.

I dont want to talk about it. [LOL]===Bill

Old 10-17-2000, 12:04 AM
Trailblazer

I have:

97 Honda 300EX -- No problems
99 Honda 400EX -- No problems
99 Eton 50 -- still up in the air

Snowshark:

Speaking of the Eton, I noticed you have one. I have been having some problems with mine. I have fouled the plug one time and sometimes it just flat quits running. I think it is the electrical connections. I'm going to have to take them all apart and put some dielectric grease in them. The boy is getting a little discouraged since the last 3 times we've taken it out, it has quit running. If this doesn't help, I'm going to trade it in on a TRX 90.

BTW, we have an ATV MX track in the works at the Horn Rapids ORV park here in the Tri-Cities that is free. If you know of anyone that like to ride, let them know. I'm trying to get this thing going and we need people to show up.

Jeff

Old 10-17-2000, 01:07 AM
Range Rover

I have an old ATC 250R and have blown the piston only once but that was because of hard rideing at hi rpms in the sand other than that I have had no problems

Old 10-17-2000, 01:13 AM
Pro Rider

All brands are reliable...it just depends on how you treat your ride!!

Old 10-17-2000, 02:22 PM
Pro Rider

Diogenes,

You make a good point.

GRMRPR,

We haven't had any problems like the one you discussed with our Eton, yet. We purchased the Eton knowing that it was only going to be ridden 12-18 months before my kid out grows it. Its been 6 months & he is riding the wifes Recon. Our E-ton 90 has a max speed of 33 & thats plenty for a kid.

I would go with the Honda 90 or a Yamaha Breeze if your kid is going to ride it for more than a couple of years. Both of these quads will have good resale value. Eton makes the new Polaris quads, Polaris just puts their plastic on them.

Old 10-17-2000, 03:15 PM
Trailblazer

Me and my friends/family have had Hondas since 1984. Some of which now switched to Polaris. I honestly can't think of any significant mechanical problems on any of the Hondas. The only thing I can think of is the recalled battery problem on my dads 450es. The machine is about a year old now with about 1000 miles. There have been no problems with the electronic shifting or anything else for that matter. He uses the wheeler for hauling wood and other things on a regular basis. Its fun to see how much wood you can load on a trailor and still be able to pull. Probably not the best thing for the quad, but still fun! If it were up to me, I would have opted for the "s" model. I'm not too big of a fan of having electrical components on a quad. If you notice, most Honda related problems stem from some sort of electronic deal. Its very tough to ensure a lifetime of trouble free operation with electronics involved. I wish Honda would make a 500cc 5 speed 4wd, somewhat sporty machine like the Wolverine and less than 500 lbs. No fancy transmision or electronic readout or sensors or anything. Just give me the basics with a high level of fun factor, and still be able to plow snow and haul a utility cart.

So to answer your question, mechanically speaking, I still think Honda is probably the best, (I have no experience with Cat or Bombardier) But if I bought a Honda with electric crap, I would expect to have more problems than a machine without electronics.

Off the subject, I now have enough money to buy basically any quad I want. Is it a Rubicon or a sportsman? No. Right now I am leaning towards the Wolverine, but I have decided to wait untill next year to see if Yamaha is updating this machine with a bigger motor or leaving it the same. If it stays the same, then I will buy this years model next September and save a few bucks. If its upgraded, I will buy the new one.

Old 10-17-2000, 03:31 PM
Range Rover

RancherES - 700 miles, no problems
ForemanES - 1300 miles, no problems

Temp

Quick Reply: Honda's quality & reliability