Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

300EX motor bogging -- seems heat related -- general motor advice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 03:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 300EX motor bogging -- seems heat related -- general motor advice?

I have 2003 300EX quad that I bought from the original owner a couple months ago. Had low hours and was in good shape, 100% stock. Its air cooled and has a CV type carb. Got if for my wife to ride sand dunes and for buddies to be able to come try the trails with me. Had it out for two, 30+ mile trail riding days and it ran fine. Over the weekend I was letting a buddy ride it and he rolled it hard enough to bend the bars a little, but it did not appear to do any other damage. Went back to the truck to try to rotate the bars up a little so we could keep riding, rode another couple miles and it kind of bogged down and died (while just cruising along a fire road). It was acting like it ran out of gas, but the fuel switch was on and it had plenty of gas in it. It hesitated to start, but fired back up so we kept going. Couple miles later, same thing, only it would not start. After sitting and letting it cool for 20 minutes or so we were able to start it and get it back to the truck. One person suggested that maybe it got gas in the wrong part of the carb and that I open it up and make sure it was emptied out. I tried that and let idle for a while at home and it seemed to be running good even after getting hot, so we went back out the next day. It ran good for 7 miles, then started sputtering and died again. Let it sit 20 minutes or so, ran another 4 miles, same thing, so after that decided to call it a day. It seems like whatever is happening is related to the motor getting hot. With no temp gauge or idiot lights or anything I have no idea if its getting overly hot or not. Could anyone tell me how I can tell if its getting too hot? Anyone have any ideas of what might be wrong? Thanks!!

Old 08-01-2005, 04:15 PM
Pro Rider

i have a feeling the float bowl is running out of gas, prolly have dirt in the carb, clean it, and try again

Old 08-01-2005, 05:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK, sounds like a good idea, thanks. Will any kind of carb cleaner product work? Do I need to take the floats and any gaskets out to avoid getting carb cleaner on them?

Old 08-02-2005, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider

you might want to check the fuel tank vent, maybe it got kinked or clogged when the bars got bent? If the tank cant vent, the fuel going out of the tank will create a vacuum in the tank and the fuel will stop flowing (engine dies) but when you let it sit, the vacuum will pull small amounts of air back through the carb and equalize, then the bike will start right back up and run fine again until there is too much vacuum in the tank again.

also, check the carb vent tubes also, make sure they are open as well.