Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Valve Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 02:07 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve Adjustment

I paid $170 for a valve adjustment for a 2005 Rancher AT. They charged 2.5 hours to the job. Did I get took or what. WOW! I need to get me a service manual so there will be no more of that sh#!. Anyone know where to get one? Got the recall done to, of course they didn't charge me for that.

Old 08-06-2005, 03:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default Valve Adjustment

EBAY!! deffinatly! they will have what your looking for!

but you half to have the tools to work on the thing i dont know what its called but it measures how many thousandths out you are i have one and i know how to do it but sorry i cant help you out on what its called

ya i think you got screwed BAD! on that deal

sorry to hear it

Old 08-06-2005, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default Valve Adjustment

never go to the stealership for major work like that. unless ofcourse its warranty work. you can get better service done by better mechanics at a better price at a local shop. it may still seem a little steep but they dont screw you like a honda shop will. when i was having my old blaster rebuilt the local yamahahaha dealer wanted over $270 for parts and boring the cyl. i got the same work done and better parts for $185 at a local shop!!

Old 08-06-2005, 05:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Valve Adjustment

Originally posted by: TheTurtle
never go to the stealership for major work like that. unless ofcourse its warranty work. you can get better service done by better mechanics at a better price at a local shop. it may still seem a little steep but they dont screw you like a honda shop will. when i was having my old blaster rebuilt the local yamahahaha dealer wanted over $270 for parts and boring the cyl. i got the same work done and better parts for $185 at a local shop!!
I agree.......I would also like to add.......That if you like to learn........do it yourself and save BIG $$$$. It's an ATV not your daily driver, so who cares if it takes you a week to fix it the first time. you will get quicker the longer you do it. Plus I think it makes you a better rider because you will know how stuff works, and why it does. KNOW YOUR RIDE!

Old 08-06-2005, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider
Default Valve Adjustment

Originally posted by: 1988fast250x
EBAY!! deffinatly! they will have what your looking for!

but you half to have the tools to work on the thing i dont know what its called but it measures how many thousandths out you are i have one and i know how to do it but sorry i cant help you out on what its called

ya i think you got screwed BAD! on that deal

sorry to hear it
...Their called feeler gages. And I agree w/ you 100% on "KNOW YOUR RIDE"

Old 08-06-2005, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default Valve Adjustment

"...Their called feeler gages. And I agree w/ you 100% on "KNOW YOUR RIDE"[/quote]

You got it. Other than the feeler gauge (about $7 for a nice one) you need a screwdriver, a few sockets and some time. It took me about 2 hours the first time on my Foreman. 90% of the time is removing all the darn plastic, the valves were VERY quick and easy to check. Order the manual and take your time and you will be able to do and it and save some $$$.
Good luck in the future!

Old 08-06-2005, 10:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Valve Adjustment

I did the valve adjustment on my 05 Rubicon. I tore it down, which took forever, got to top dead center and popped off the valve covers! Sweet, except for they now tick alittle. I used my feeler gauges and make the right adjustments, so I thought. Your supposed to have some drag on the gauge when removing it. I couldn't have gotten it any closer without being able to get the gauge out. I'm thinking about either leaving it be or tearing it down again and trying it all over. It runs perfectly even with a light tick.

Old 08-06-2005, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default Valve Adjustment

Just as a side note - I had a slight tick even when the machine was new and I noticed mine still ticked a little after the adjustment and it is set within spec... I think it is normal but does anyone else have any input?
Thanks

Old 08-07-2005, 01:45 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Valve Adjustment

Originally posted by: Code54
Just as a side note - I had a slight tick even when the machine was new and I noticed mine still ticked a little after the adjustment and it is set within spec... I think it is normal but does anyone else have any input?
Thanks
Yea..........welcome to a HONDA!.......I love them but they ALL do it a touch.....even the street bikes!

Old 08-07-2005, 09:59 AM
Pro Rider
Default Valve Adjustment

I was thinking that they do, but it is nice to hear it from someone else [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Thanks

Quick Reply: Valve Adjustment