Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400ex Parking Brake Question...AGAIN!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 11:27 PM
E7O
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400ex Parking Brake Question...AGAIN!

I've read all the posts about the parking brake, but I have a few questions that havn't been answered or addressed.

If I install a parking brake block off (bought one from "Tusk" that came with o-ring and bolts) and remove the cable...do I have to replace the clutch perch? I know if I replace the clutch perch (other boards say the CR is the best) it will look better, but if I keep the stock perch will it work properly?

I bought EBC carbon graphite brake pads and installed them earlier this year. I only had about 6-7 actual riding hours on the ATV since then and my pads are totally gone -- down to the metal! When I changed the pads the last time, I backed the parking brake bolt on the rear caliper all the way. How in the hell is the parking brake eating my brake pads if the bolt that controls the piston is all the way out? Are graphite brake pads a waste of money? Should I buy the metal brake pads?

If you have successfully removed your parking brake block off, please let me know the proceedure as well as any tricks of the trade.

Thanks in advance,

Old 09-04-2005, 04:49 AM
Trailblazer

the parking brakes flat out suck on any sport atv, the parking break block off was the first mod i did to my 400ex, i bought a brake block and installed it and ditched the cable, i used the stock lever for awhile untill i wanted a aftermarket one because they look better, the only tricky part is, there are two wires for the stock clutch lever that allow you to start your bike in gear if you have the clutch lever pulled, i didn't have to mess with em untill i bought a different lever assembly, but with the aftermarket lever you have to remove the connector piece and just wire the two wires togather to make a complete circuit, by doing this it allows you to start your bike in gear without pulling the lever but dont do it because you will burn up your starter. well i hope this helps you out in some way if you have anymore questions just ask!

Wreckless

Old 09-04-2005, 09:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If I am correct, the pads that you got are the soft ones. What that meeds is that they will wear down real fast, but give great stopping power. You need to buy the ones that have the sintered metal in them. They last much, much longer.

Old 09-05-2005, 11:56 AM
E7O
Trailblazer

Well I took off the cable and installed the block off. Piece of cake. I kept the stock clutch perch and it looks fine. Whole proceedure took 5 minutes tops.