Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Why the hype over the 450r? A 500r 2 stroke would be better

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why the hype over the 450r? A 500r 2 stroke would be better

Originally posted by: LRDracing5
one thing about 2strokes .... .everyone would be using them still in the pros if it wasnt for the atva restricting 2 strokes from the the pro class and they want you to buy the 20 year long technology that still isnt better then that of the 250r,tecate4,quadzilla,lt250r get the drift. they want you to buy the new 4strokes instead of buying the old 2strokes...... 4stroke power will never compare to 2stroke power

Come on now, Charmicheal and SOME of the pros have a choice of which bike to ride [4 or 2 stroke] and what do 95% choose to ride?

If Bubba didn't dominate on a 2 stroke then there is no advantage. ATV's amplify the advantage of 4 stroke power as there is more mass to move. Torque and linear power are more important than the higher peak HP that is achieved by the 2 stroke. Granted, a 350PV "R" is awfully fun in the dunes but I'm done with designer quads and my 06 450R will be the last quad I ever buy. Dependability and zero maintenance are more important for me now a days.

We need to face the fact that 2 strokes are going the way of the Betamax and VHS. It is being replaced by an overall better package that the market has chosen superior. Please don't argue this point, go to your local dealer and watch how many Banshees leave the floor compared to Raptors & YFZ's.

Hell, I bought a 30cc 4 stroke Weedeater, that's something I never would have thought would be possible because of power and weight considerations. It works perfectly however.

The only hope you have for a new 2 stroke quad is if one of the Snowmobile co's put a 440 sized, EPA approved engine in a quad to fill the void left by the Banshee for the Dune and circle track communities.

Old 09-09-2005, 12:59 PM
Pro Rider

Actually, the manufactures forced the ATVA to eliminate 2 strokes from the Pro ranks. Manufacturers are not interested in supporting racing if their products aren't being used. The ATVA isn't interested in trying to promote racing without manufacturer's support.

Also, in order to grow the sport, you have to have ample supply. The number of 250r available is going down, down, down all the time. It certainly won't support more people getting into racing or buying something that doesn't exist. Thank god too since we need more people riding quads to make sure we have fair political representation.

The government put the ban on 2 strokes - not the manufacturers. The manufacturers put pressure on race organizations to race commercially available products.

/Jon

Old 09-09-2005, 01:57 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: LRDracing5
one thing about 2strokes .... .everyone would be using them still in the pros if it wasnt for the atva restricting 2 strokes from the the pro class and they want you to buy the 20 year long technology that still isnt better then that of the 250r,tecate4,quadzilla,lt250r get the drift. they want you to buy the new 4strokes instead of buying the old 2strokes...... 4stroke power will never compare to 2stroke power

I hope you aren't stupid enough to actually believe that crap. Line up a yfz against a lt250r then talk about performance.

Old 09-09-2005, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider

I hope you aren't stupid enough to actually believe that crap. Line up a yfz against a lt250r then talk about performance.
Hmm, I'd like to line up my little LT250R against your yfz... I'm thinking you'd be getting an education about performance.

'Cmon now, most of Ya'll are missing the point of the original post. Most simple minded folks don't like the maintenance issues involved and prefer the much more user friendly thumpers.. Granted..

Some of us out here demand REAL performance, and we're not getting it. The manufacturers are playing the game and maximizing profits. If they want more of my $$$$, they'll have to step-up.

Old 09-10-2005, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider

The government put the ban on 2 strokes - not the manufacturers. The manufacturers put pressure on race organizations to race commercially available products.

When does this ban go into effect? What products are subject to this ban?

<>

Old 09-10-2005, 01:45 AM
Pro Rider

I don't think the goverment put a ban on 2-strokes, but the companies put pressure on the racing organizations to have a 450 cc pro production class{meaning the bike has to be in production to race}, that the companies support with money and factory riders. They had to get rid of the 250r based machines, because honda and yamaha couldn't have their new 450's getting their asses spanked by 20 year old 250 2-strokes on the track.

Old 09-10-2005, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider

Why do so many people think a 450 r or yfz will beat a 250 r or lt? I have seen this drag race in the parking lot where I ride. the 250's always win. By alot. Granted they aren't stock but who rides a stock 250? the fact is there are more hop up parts for the 250's than the 450 will have in 10 years.

Old 09-10-2005, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider

okay, well actually the government hasn't directly banned 2 stroke engines. The EPA (the govt in my book) has established guidelines that cannot be met by current 2 stroke engine technology except in the 50cc variety.

It will also be illegal to modify your bike engine and not meet EPA standards including removing or disabling any factory equipment.

2006 is the last year for the Yamaha Banshee too. Get em while you can.

/Jon

Old 09-11-2005, 02:28 AM
Pro Rider

I know 4 strokes are showing up in all forms of powersports but are you telling me that the EPA has set a day in stone that ALL manufacturers will no longer be allowed to install 2 stroke engines in Snowmobiles, PWC and Outboards?

Old 09-12-2005, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: quad2xtreme
okay, well actually the government hasn't directly banned 2 stroke engines. The EPA (the govt in my book) has established guidelines that cannot be met by current 2 stroke engine technology except in the 50cc variety.

It will also be illegal to modify your bike engine and not meet EPA standards including removing or disabling any factory equipment.

2006 is the last year for the Yamaha Banshee too. Get em while you can.

/Jon
Yep, the EPA set the emissions levels by Jan 1 2006. There is no "BAN" on 2 strokes. New machines must comply with the new emissions levels with anything manufactured by this date. Arctic cat is in compliance and has been for over a year with thier 2 stroke sleds. Bombardier is there too with the new direct injection motors. Not sure what Poolaris is doing... Yammiehaw is the only manufacturer of snowmobiles that has jumped ship to an all 4 stroke lineup. (They are missing the boat big time in the mountain sled segment)

It's always illegal to modify stuff when dealing with emissions equip... but I say 'catch me if you can sucka'...

All the hype about a 2 stroke 'ban' is just that.... hype

Quick Reply: Why the hype over the 450r? A 500r 2 stroke would be better