Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher ES or Rincon to Plow???

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 09:47 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rancher ES or Rincon to Plow???

Which ATV would be best for plowing? Also, which type of lift system is best and why...manual or winch? Thanks!!!

Old 09-19-2005, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider

Which ATV would be best for plowing? Also, which type of lift system is best and why...manual or winch? Thanks!!!
>>>>>>>>>>

Do you want this in essay form? Shall we provide points of reference as well? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img])

Old 09-19-2005, 09:03 PM
Trailblazer

I have a rancher and a rincon, which would be better for plowing. Some people seem to think the auto in the rincon with its high gearing is not good for plowing. I'm looking for the pros and cons of plowing and the different brands of plows. For example, I understand the Swisher plow can be cantered left or right from the seat of the quad. This would be a Pro. The Glacier mount on the Polaris 700 allows the plow to be raised very high letting you use the quad for other things without hitting the plow on the ground like some other models do. They only raise up approx. 18". Any other info would be a big help. Thanks

Old 09-19-2005, 09:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Id go with the rincon, because its much easier to go back and forth between forward and reverse. Its a pain finding the little red button with choppers on, on the es.

Old 09-19-2005, 10:03 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: MrBaldone
I have a rancher and a rincon, which would be better for plowing. Some people seem to think the auto in the rincon with its high gearing is not good for plowing. I'm looking for the pros and cons of plowing and the different brands of plows. For example, I understand the Swisher plow can be cantered left or right from the seat of the quad. This would be a Pro. The Glacier mount on the Polaris 700 allows the plow to be raised very high letting you use the quad for other things without hitting the plow on the ground like some other models do. They only raise up approx. 18". Any other info would be a big help. Thanks
Rincon, no question. I own a Rincon and it is one of the best plow vehicles I have tried. Don't let the high first gear fool you. The high first gear makes the Rincon a poor choice for turning huge mud tires and pulling heavy loads over ROUGH terrain, but it is perfect for plowing snow. Because of the torque converter, you can crawl along at a snail's pace with a full bucket of snow and increase your speed with a touch of the throttle, no shifting required. With a five speed tranny, you will find first gear plenty powerful for plowing, but much too slow. When shifting up to second gear, you will lose all momentum and run out of power quickly. The Rincon's tranny is absolutely great for plowing.

The other advantage is reverse. Reverse on the Rancher is painfully slow, and backing up a long way is very annoying. With the Rincon, reverse is much faster and the job can completed more quickly. If you bypass the reverse rev limiter, you can go even faster in reverse.

Overall, there really is no comparison between the two. I'm telling you that you will regret putting the plow on your Rancher when you also own a Rincon. Sure, if you only owned a Rancher, it would be a great choice. But seeing as you own both, install the plow on the Rincon. You won't be sorry.

Old 09-20-2005, 09:49 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the reply. It all makes perfect sence. Now to pick a plow? Any suggestions, and why?

Old 09-20-2005, 03:10 PM
Trailblazer

I went with a 60" Cycle Country. Alot of people don't like 60" plow cause they're too wide, but man, it makes the job go fast. I have an extra wide driveway and it works perfect. Also with a wide plow, when you angle it, you're not driving (and packing down) snow you need to plow.

I also like Cycle Country because they have replacement wear bars (in metal and plastic). I don't use the skids since it leaves a thin layer of snow.

Cycle coutry (probably along with other manufactures) make a lot of other attachments to make plowing easier.

Finally, I went with them cause I got an accessories discount from my dealer, and Cycle Country is all they carry [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

As for manual vs winch. I had a manual for last year, and really liked it. I (and even my wife) was able to raise and lower with ease. I like the manual becasue I could hold it in a "half-way" position if I needed, or kind of pick up a pile of snow and move it back.

This year, I got a winch and will probably use that. The one nice thing about not having the manual will be that the plow can be easily removed without having to remove the manual lift handle, which just took another couple minutes, but was a pain.

just my .02

Trending Topics

Old 09-20-2005, 03:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had the plastic 60 inch Cycle Country plow for my Rincon and it did a great job..I had 589s on it and the Rincon also did an excellant job when plowing..

I would'nt hesitate to throw a plow on a Rincon,they do a fine job with the snow.

Old 09-20-2005, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider

The main problem with using your winch to operate the blade is that it kills your cable. if your using your bike for plowing most of the time in the winter get another cable about 6' or so, real heavy and spool the winch with it for the winter.

Old 09-20-2005, 03:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

I use plasma rope in place of the winch cable,it dont kink and is easy on your hands too.

Quick Reply: Rancher ES or Rincon to Plow???