Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

question for someone

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 05:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question for someone

Hey whoever is reading this. I'm a 15 year old kid who in like 2001 I had gotten a Honda 90 TRX brand new. I loved the thing because it fit my riding skills, until I got bored with it. So then i decide to trick the thing out because my parents wouldn't let me buy the Yamaha Blaster. I tricked it out as much as my wallet could. And for an old quad it ran fast. Restrictor cable but off, cam upgrade, new pipe and shocks. But now ever since I outgrew the little thing it has been sitting in my garage for years without it being touched. So now I'm fixing it up. I took everything off the engine and cleaned it all up so I can sell it. I had it running until it started sputtering. Now I'm thinking its the old gas in the engine, not in the tank but just in the engine. I put new gas in there and tried to start it up but nowthing. So I'm thinking the problem with it is that the old gas in the engine being fed through. So if any of you guys have any ideas or could tell me any other possible things that could help me it would be most appreiciated. Also its a pull start so if its the gas I just want approval so Im not standing there pulling this damn rip cord forever when its really something else thats possibly wrong with it.

RoncoRox

Old 10-12-2005, 05:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question for someone

I'm not real familiar with the 90, but make sure the electrical connections are tight first, as it's the easiest. I had a 250x that wouldn't start, looked like connecter was connected, but due to the plastic around it, it wasn't making full contact. As long as thats good, then it's generally air, fuel, or spark, thats basically whats needed to run. Air filter is easy enough to check, make sure nothing is clogging the air intake too. If you have an inline spark plug tester I'd try that next, make sure plug is gapped correctly, and visually inspect it to see any oil, or other type of problems. If thats ok, then it's time to check fuel. Check fuel filter, if that's ok then pull the line from the carb and make sure fuel is getting to carb from the tank. If you are getting fuel, then problem is probably with the carb. Loose jets, clogged, idle adjuster screw not set correctly, Vacuum lines clogged.

then there is the other train of thought people use. I don't do it, don't like it, don't recommend it, but plenty of people do it.
First-- Spray it with starting fluid, see if it will run on that. If it will run like that, spray it, full throttle and try and burn out the problem. The benefit is, if it starts using starting fluid, then you know it's not spark, or an air problem.

good luck to you.