Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400ex Hare Scramble Prep?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2000, 02:49 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have decided to buy a 400ex for the GNCC races next year. I am not sure what class I will run in yet but it won't be the stock class. Probably the 30 plus class. What types of modifications does the 400ex need or could benefit from to race hare scrambles? I plan on new shocks all around, full skid plates and mild engine mods. What parts break easily or need replaced often?

Should be a big change from racing a 98 Polaris Scrambler. Absolutely awesome in the mud after a water crossing though.

Old 10-27-2000, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider

Tires definitely, and possibly wheels (depending on how agressive you plan on getting).

Can't really think of anything the needs replacing often or breaks easily. With as much as mine has been abused, I have had minimal parts replacements - Some folks have problems with swingarms. Usually at the MX track, due to bad landings. Personally I believe it has a lot to do with rider weight. Although I am inclined to believe some batches are stronger than others. Just keep an eye on it.

If you crash, the steering stem will likely bend. The d@mn thing is stronger than crap if you try to bend it back though...

Quality Shocks (PEP, AXIS, TCS), a good steering stabilizer (Scotts, or a telescopic unit with an adjustible shock body mount), and aluminum bars will serve you well.

The 400EX is a very good woods racing machine & definitely a change from your previous Polaris.

Feel free to e-mail me if you want any more detailed info on parts or engine mods.

Good luck.

Old 10-27-2000, 03:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run a 400EX also and it is pretty reliable, but only if race maintenance is performed. All nuts and bolts tightened (blue loctite), all cotter pins in place, lugs tightened. The only parts I have broken was the swingarm. However, in taking the old one off, I realized that regular maintenance isn't enough. Water and powerwashing is hard on a quad.
Take apart and lube the swingarm bearings, both rear shock link bearings (especially the one under the rear of the engine) and service rear bearings often. I am going through it right now and it is a hard lesson learned.

You may want to consider a 14T front sprocket, helps with low end bog especially 2nd gear.

Stock rims are actually a decent alternative to race wheels. The rolloed bead is stronger against bending then .190's, unless you have welded rings.

You can also hit some warm up races this winter in the Mid South Hare Scramble series (www.msws.org/)

Good luck, see you at the races

Old 10-27-2000, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider

Good, hard tires and full skidplates. The stock skids are crap! I have a friend who learned this the hard way with his 400ex. A big rock busted right through and put a hole in his engine!

Also, I would think at least front shocks, the rear is pretty decent on them if you dont have the money right away, a rear shock is not on my top priotities list.

Old 10-28-2000, 03:28 PM
Pro Rider

Yep, good suggestions, mine is torn down and lubed & adjusted at least once a month when ridden hard. Yes the stock wheels are also very good. I wouldn't consider replacing them unless going to ring wheels.

Old 10-28-2000, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You will need a large gas tank so that you will not have to stop for gas. a Complete exhaust system. Non slip seat cover.And also, a steering stabilizer besides what the other people said. What out for buying things that the magazines write about that don't make you any faster.

Old 10-29-2000, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tprender;
You can't make it on the whole way on fuel with your 400EX? I can with an 1 1/2 with no problem, GNCC 2 t 2 1/2 I switch to reserve the last lap (besides a pipe it is stock). I have ordered a 4.3 gallon also. If you buy a steering stem, make sure it is for XC (+1 taller to clear larger tank).

86250R is rigth, if you buy rims at least go with welded rings or better, otherwise stay with stock. I bought .190's and bent the rim simply buy putting the tire on the rim with a tire machine!! Not happy with that one.

Old 10-29-2000, 10:56 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all the suggestions. This will really help.

When it is said I need to grease the bearings do you mean actually pull them out and repack them or just hook up to the grease zerk and grease them this way. I do this every time I ride the Polaris.

I have looked thru the magazines and have seen tons of goodies. I could spend $5000 in the blink of an eye! Is an aftermarket stem or a-arms really worth it? I do know that all out horsepower does not get you thru the trees any faster but well thought out chassis and suspension mods will.

I do plan to go to as many Mid South Winter Hare Scramble races as possible. Look for a GMC truck pulling a white enclosed trailer with a Polaris and you will have found me.

I'm still open for more suggestions. Thanks.

Old 10-30-2000, 08:59 AM
Trailblazer

This is off the subject, but do you know Chris & Lance Little? They live in Tuscola (I pull tractors with them).