Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

submerged my truck, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005 | 05:47 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default submerged my truck, now what?

sunk the front of my truck in about 4 feet of water yesterday. shut it off ritre away but then tried to start it after with no luck. i took my plugs out to get some of the water out of the cylenders and i am wondering what the next step is? drain my oil and fill it bak up before i crank it over or crank it over now to get the water out of the cylenders.

any hellp comments advice or anything would be appreciated i need this thing bak on the road soon

Old 10-13-2005 | 05:58 PM
Trailblazer

my first advice is to not drive it in water.....second, i think your on the right track with trying to start it with the plugs out, should get some of the left over water out. i would drain and replace all the fluids for sure. good luck!!

Old 10-13-2005 | 06:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Next time leave it running......if I ever sink anything....I leave it running....I don't like water in my engine.....

Old 10-13-2005 | 06:06 PM
Trailblazer

if you make a habit of it.

Old 10-13-2005 | 06:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

never sunk anything.....don't ride around/near water......but if I was to somehow sink something.....this would be my plan.....

Old 10-13-2005 | 06:35 PM
|
Pro Rider

bad plan, you will suck water through your intake and it wont compress like air and fuel and youll blow up you engine. id rather just drain my fluids

Old 10-13-2005 | 06:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

well......yeah I guess it matters how deep we are talking......if you aren't that deep....only just past your tailpipe.....I'd keep it running....do as you want....I know guys who have done mine and are just fine.......

Old 10-13-2005 | 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

First remove the oil drain plug. The water will be on the bottom, when oil starts coming out put the plug back in. Then crank it over with all the spark plugs out. Put them back in and wd-40 the inside of the distributer cap.

It should run. If it does let it warm up and change the oil and filter. I'd change it again in a week or so.

Sometimes the dist will have water stuck in the bottom and you will have to blow it out or it'l keep shorting the cap internally.

Old 10-13-2005 | 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

If your almost to the height of your exhaust manifold, but not yet near your intake shautting off will definetely do more damage. It will suck the water right in. If your not even close yet to your exhaust then it won't make a difference and shouldn't hurt anything if all is in good working order.

If you are over your exhaust and getting deeper, try backing out before it gets to your intake. If you must shut off and your afraid it got in your motor:
pull it out with another machine
Let it sit for a while, Use a drain pan and loosen oil drain plug. Oil floats on water, so if there's any water in the pan it'll come out first.
Regardless of whether or not there was any in the pan, I'd take all the spark plugs out (If I suspected water got in) and crank it over, after verifying no water in pan.
If you do have water in the cylinders and you crank it over it will hydra-lock and risk bending the connecting rods. Water doesn't compress like air.

Also, it's actually better if you have an electric radiator fan that you can shut off with a switch. That way it doesn't splash water all over the distributer. This is worse on the
old ford v-8s where the distributer is on the front of the motor.

Old 10-14-2005 | 09:42 AM
Pro Rider

In any situation where your unsure what height the water is at your better off shutting down the motor and getting pulled out.

With the engine off YOU CANT DAMAGE ANYTHING.

Like mentioned earlier, if the water is over your exhaust, but definatnly not the intake, keep it running, reve'd up (it will stall at idle) and reverse back out.

Water does not compress like the air/fuel mix the engine is designed for and impacts like a rick splitting the head, bending the rod and god knows what else.

Water sucked into the intake will fill the cylinder and likely get into the bowl of the carb. Plus now that your engine's shut off, your exhaust is likley full too.

On a bike the first thing to do is tip it up to drain the exhaust.

Next check the airbox and drain accordingly. If the filter is wet take it off to dry out a bit.

Next pull the spark plug, followed by hitting the starter to eject the water from the cylinder. Dry and reinstall the plug.

Next drain the bowl of the carb. Shut off the fuel and open the drain **** on the bottom of the bowl. If gas/water does not run out freely through the overflow hose, check that hose for a clog, or take it off for now. Flush it a couple times by breifly turning the gas back on.

Now check to see that your gas tank vent is free and not in water.

Check your engine oil, if its real milky, and over full (water in the oil) it'll need to be changed to ride. To get it perfect, it will likely need to be changed 4-5 times total.

Put everything back to gether and you should be in good shape.

Quick Reply: submerged my truck, now what?