Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubicon, What type of TIRE/WINCH?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2000, 03:11 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI,

I was wondering what size and brand tire I should use on my Rubicon. I dont want to install any type of liftkits or any other mods too fit the tires on my Rubicon. Also I dont want the tires too rub or put any wear&tear on any parts. What type/brand of winch should I get? I would like it too be reliable and easy too install without me having too muck up my ATV. Thx for your input

How I ride:
60% Trail Ridding
30% Mudding
10% Work/Pulling

-RubicoN

Old 10-28-2000, 08:26 AM
Pro Rider

Since you don’t want to put any extra wear on you Rubicon I would suggest that you stay with the same size tire, go with a more aggressive pattern. A larger than stock will affect the accuracy of your Speedo and will change your drive line geometry, Not much but it will. I see many people with extremely large tires and lift kit on their ATV’s. It completely changes every aspect of the drive line geometry. This will cause parts to fail prematurely.

As for the winch I would go with the Warn A2500. It a little more than the A2000 but you’ll get a fairlead and a remote. The 2500 is kind a like a complete winching needs package.

Old 10-28-2000, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider

I wanted new tires on my Kodiak. The stock Dunlops were not doing the job. I had heard nothing but good things about Kenda BearClaws. I got a set of them, stock size, from Rocky Mountain, $230 for all four. They are amazing. I highly recomend them.

As for winches, Warn is the way to go.

Old 10-28-2000, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any ATV winch will be adequate for your application, GabooN.

The Superwinch T-1500 and ATV-2000 have identical motors and geartrains; thus, you'd expect about the same pull from either. The Warn A2000 and A2500 likewise have identical motors and geartrains; although the A2500 may have marginally lower resistance wiring, I'd expect about the same pull from either product also.

While you may prefer a roller fairlead, a hawse fairlead is adequate for ATVing; anyway, any advantage a roller fairlead may offer pales beside the contribution of one accessory I highly recommend, a ****** block. A relatively inexpensive ****** block doubles extraction force from any winch.

My suggestion: buy whatever winch your preference and your pocketbook dictate; but, get a ****** block to go along with it!

Tree Farmer

Old 10-28-2000, 08:23 PM
Trailblazer

Thx for the replies, guess I wont buy tires for my Rubicon but I would like too buy a winch I was looking too buy the Warn A2500. When I get one I will tell u all how it goes.

-RubicoN

Old 10-29-2000, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider

I went up one inch in tire diameter from stock to a Titan 589. A larger tire is not going to change your suspension geometry. A lift will The larger tire, described above, had no negative effect on power. It is a light tire and is turned great. It rides great on hardpack, but will be so much better than the DirtHook, that it is no comparison.

As far at the lift, I have been running on this rubicon since August with no problems. I have had one on a 97 FourTrax since 97. No major problems. It has really been a good thing. As long as you stay at 1.5-2", you will do fine. The Highlifter lift is very well engineered and is within safe working limits. To my surprise, my Honda dealer's chief mechanic praised the design and HL's decision not to get too extreme.

If you don't want a lift, that is your choice and fine. But, I would definitely upgrade my tires and the Warn 2500 is a good buy for all the things that you get with it. If you will put some dielectric grease on the connections and make sure they are TIGHT, you will not be disappointed.

Old 10-29-2000, 01:55 AM
Range Rover

The size, brand, and type of tire depends mainly on what type of terrain you intend to ride on most of the time. If you ride mostly in wet, muddy situations, you should step up to a larger, and more aggressive mud tire. For trail riding, you can stick with the stock tires. Since you don't want to install a lift, you shouldn't go with any larger diameter than 26". 27" and up would require a lift to keep from rubbing. As for a winch, again, consider what uses you have for one. If you will be in deep mud, or for any other heavy winching chores, I'd go with the Warn. The A2000 is good...the A2500 is better. For occasional use or lighter jobs, the Superwinch does a fine job. I've used both brands and had no problems from either. The best rule of thumb I can offer is, buy as much as you can afford. It's better to have too much than not enough when you need it.

Old 10-31-2000, 03:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just ordered my Rubicon today. I'll get it Thursday. I wanted to get a winch with it and the dealer said they don't have mounting kits for the Warn winches for the Rubicon. The ATV is too new. I talked to a guy at work and he ordered one also and he said he ordered it with a Warn winch. Does anyone know where I can order the mounting kit etc. Perhaps via internet if possible?

Old 10-31-2000, 04:25 PM
Trailblazer

RUBBER/BEER

hahaha j/k

Old 10-31-2000, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider

Any dealer of Warn products can get it. Call Warn at 800-543-9276 and get the part # and a local dealer or call someone like Highlifter or Rocky Mountain ATV with the part #. Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Rubicon, What type of TIRE/WINCH?