Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

250r hmm im having thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 04:19 PM
dvx
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 250r hmm im having thoughts

would the 250r be worth getting it seems like great machine, right now i have a dvx400 and im looking at an '86 250r would there be any regrets? how is the reliability on them? has anyone gotten any top speeds for the r? ive heard rummors that two strokes like the 250r you have to rebuild and clean out often, is this true? thanks!

Old 11-10-2005, 08:29 PM
Range Rover

They are great quads, and a well built one will keep up if not roll any semi-stock quad on the market. It will be considerably faster than your dvx. As to the reliability, i've found that mine is pretty much bullert proof. It starts first kick every time, although i do rebuild it after each season. The interval between rebuilding the motor depends on how hard you ride, and how often you go. Other than that i just change the oil after each weekend of riding, oil the chain, maybe flush and drain the radiator occasionally. The top speeds really differ, but it think i saw somewhere high 60's to low 70's. You would not regret getting one, they're great bikes.

Old 11-10-2005, 10:05 PM
Trailblazer

I think that either way you go,if you are keeping an atv for a long time...moneywise it doesnt matter.You may have to rebuild a 2 stroke a little more often(maybe a topend a season)but they are easier to work on,I think,and when you go to rebuild a 4 stroke it can usually be more costly.I dont know what top speed would be but just out of curiousity(spl?)why does top speed matter?Are you planning on drag racing?

Good luck for whatever you do!
Ron

Old 11-11-2005, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider

the 250r is THE MOST dependable quad i have owned. well engineered,simple,effective design,plenty of room. im 6 1 225 and i am not cramped at all on it. stock they run good ,modded they can really rip... mine does.its almost 20 years old and nothing is stripped,rigged,or worn out.that is a testament to hondas engineering.for the first year of production, i think they hit a home run with this machine. it took MANY years for 4 strokes to even compete with this ANTIQUE atv. i would not trade even up for a yfz, and ive ridden them(modded). all i need is a rear shock rebuild to make it perfect for me. and to re-ring it only costs a few bucks.takes only about an hour to do the whole job.imo honda makes top notch stuff....from lawn mowers to cars [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-11-2005, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider

I responded to your PM. My R has proven to be just as tough as some of the 4-strokes my buddies ride. Maintenance is a snap and inexpensive. Go for it!

Old 11-11-2005, 01:15 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

4 strokes are the future.........stay with your 4 stroke.....or get another one that is more racey.......like a yfz, trx450r.....or a predator......

the 4 strokes have much more torque, and have more power in the lower rpms to midrange.........so kinda depends on your riding style(for xc, I'd definately reccomend a 4 stroke).....

they are also easier to tune, in my opinion.......or stay tuned for longer......

If you look at all of the pro's......not many are still on a 2 stroke......

Old 11-11-2005, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Bradracer18
4 strokes are the future.........
If you look at all of the pro's......not many are still on a 2 stroke......
I'm thinking your going to be wrong on this one... They are popular now, and will be for the short term... We'll see what the next 15-20 years brings...
If not, I'll still be whoopin' 4 stroke butt on my antiques.

I can't see many "pro's" in owning a 4 stroke... I'd say it greatly depends on what your needing it for.
My old LT has more torque in the lower RPMs than any thumper, and pulls like a freight train through the entire RPM range. Jetting is more sensitive to elevation/air density changes because I choose to pursue a highly accurate level of tune on a modified motor... I doubt your thumper is much different if it's highly modified.
Look at the cost of a complete motor rebuild b/w the two!!?!! A catastropic failure on a thumper = $big bux$ to fix. (Mo parts = Mo $)
I guess if your looking for something to tow a mower around with, or plow snow, thumpers are a great fit. If your a putt putt rider, it's a good fit... IF your looking for the best in all out performance....look elsewhere

My $.02

Old 11-11-2005, 03:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hello
I have an 88 250R with a mostly stock motor. It has a 19cc dome cool head with a FMF Fatty pipe and silencer and a small over bore (just one size over stock). I geared it down 2 teeth in the front to have more low end in the woods, this was prob too much, and according to my GPS with the clutch slipping a little it registered 69.9 MPH . If you want a good race or hil climbing quad these are awesome. Mine is for sale if you are interested just because as I get older a four stroke is a lot easier to ride. If you are interested in buying one let me know maybe we can strike a deal!

Old 11-12-2005, 03:04 AM
Pro Rider

4-strokes may be taking over, but as far as "hp per cc" goes, you can't beat a 2-stroke. I'd put my 19 year old 250R up against the best of today anytime.

Old 11-12-2005, 04:57 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fourstroke 450 may be the race quad of choice acrossed the nation from pro to newbie, but the veterans on 250R's are still racking up points wins, trophies and podiums on every type of track.

Quick Reply: 250r hmm im having thoughts