Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

HONDA 450 ES FOREMAN SHIFTING PROBLEMS

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HONDA 450 ES FOREMAN SHIFTING PROBLEMS

it's possible that your new ECU is bad, but double check every thing else.

Old 11-16-2005, 12:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

I DID CHECK EVERYTHING ELSE A MILLION TIMES. AS FAR AS I KNOW IS THAT THE 1 FLASH & 5 FLASH CODES ARE THE ECU. EVERYTHING ELSE IS BRAND NEW & I MEAN BRAND NEW. IF I CHANGE THE ECU & THAT DON'T FIX THE PROBLEM, WHAT SHOULD I DO THEN ??

Old 11-16-2005, 05:13 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Unfortunetly, the one flash points to the ecu. The 5 flash means the same old problem is still there.
If you have the old ecu, put it back in and see what you get.
It would appear the switches helped...no more 2 flash?
The tranny shifts ok with the emergency handle?
When you jumped the switches, and went directly to the shift motor...it shifted fine?
Recheck the continuity of that orange/orange wire,from one end to the other and then the green/blue wire, end to end. Then check each to ground. If they are shorted to ground, or are open, end to end, then thats the area to focus on.
Did that get replaced with the new wiring harness?

Old 11-16-2005, 06:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

IT SEEMS THAT THE 2 FLASH IS GONE BUT I STILL HAVE A 1 & 5 FLASH. THE BIKE SHIFTS FINE WITH THE EMERGANCY SHIFT. WHEN I JUMPED THE SHIFT MOTOR FOR THE 20 TH TIME IT STILL WORKS FINE . THE GREEN/BLUE & THE ORANGE WIRES ALL HAVE CONTINUITY. CHECKED THE ORANGE TO GROUND WITH A VOLT METER & I GET 0.0 VOLTS THE GREEN/BLUE WIRE ALSO READS THE SAME TO GROUND 0.0 VOLTS. THE NEW WIRE HARNESS COMES WITH ALL THE PLUGS TO PLUG INTO THE PLUGS THAT COME OFF OF EACH ITEM, SO YES THE WIRE THAT GOES TO THE ECU IS BRAND NEW, THE WIRE THAT GOES TO THE SHIFT MOTORS PLUG IS NEW & THE WIRES THAT GO TO THE HANDLE BAR SHIFT PLUG IS BRAND NEW. I'M STUCK !!!!

Old 11-16-2005, 09:48 PM
Elite Pro Rider

"

THE GREEN/BLUE & THE ORANGE WIRES ALL HAVE CONTINUITY. CHECKED THE ORANGE TO GROUND WITH A VOLT METER & I GET 0.0 VOLTS THE GREEN/BLUE WIRE ALSO READS THE SAME TO GROUND 0.0 VOLTS.
"

When i say to check for continuity...its means to use the ohm meter, (not the volt meter)and check the resistance. This is done with the key in the off position and the results will be in ohms....not volts.

Were looking for the wire to be whole, with out any shorts or opens. There wont be any volts on it, if the ends are disconnected.
If jumping the shift motor works, but the buttons dont...means the circuitry of the switches (switches, wires, fuses, connectors, ecu...) has an issue, and by eliminateing the wires, lets us move on.

Old 11-16-2005, 10:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

I DID CHECK THE CONTINUITY BETWEEN THE WIRES BY USING THE OHM METER & IT WAS GOOD. I USED THE( VOLT METER) WHEN I CHECKED GREEN/BLUE & ORANGE WIRE TO GROUND . SHOULD I CHECK THOSE WIRES WITH THE OHM METER ?? I BELIEVE THEY ARE GOOD BECAUSE OF THE NEW HARNESS. LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU WANT ME TO DO NEXT. I'M WILLING TO DO ANYTHING THAT YOU WANT ME TO DO.

Old 11-17-2005, 04:28 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Yes, you need to check those two wires to ground, with the ohmmeter. Youll be looking for short. If the wires are new, then it should be good.
Look over the connector at the shift motor, are they corrorded or bent ? does the connector fit on, with out forceing or trouble?
Have you put the old ecu back on...then what? we're mainly concerned that the 0ne flash goes away. When you reinstall it, look over the pins and connectors and look for corrosion and damage...then smear a bit of dielectric grease on the connectors and snap them back together. Make sure when ever youre connecting or unhooking connectors, that the key is off....dont be disconnecting or hooking things back up, with voltage on the wires. So key off, and if posible disconnect the negitive cable on the battery.
That should go for the switch connector too, look it over for damage and corrorsion.
Im running out of ideas....

Old 11-17-2005, 06:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

I CHECKED THE WIRES TO GROUND & THEY ARE GOOD. I CHECKED THE CONNECTOR TO THE SHIFT MOTOR & ITS ALL GOOD. I DON'T HAVE THE OLD ECU BUT I DO HAVE ANOTHER ECU THAT I CONNECTED & IT STILL READS 1 & 5 FLASHES. I DON'T HAVE ANY DIELECTRIC GREASE TO PUT ON THE CONNECTORS. WHAT TO DO NEXT ????????

Old 11-17-2005, 07:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

I JUST WENT TO CHECK EVERYTHING ON THE BIKE AGAIN & ITS ALL GOOD, BUT I STILL HAVE 1 & 5 FLASHES. I HAVE 2 QUESTIONS FOR YOU, I DISCONNECTED THE SHIFT MOTOR PLUG & PUT THE OHM METER TO THE GREEN/BLUE & THE ORANGE WIRE ON THE HARNESS SIDE & IT READ (NON CONTINUITY). IS THAT CORRECT ?? I ALSO PUT THE OHM METER TO THE GREEN/BLUE & THE ORANGE WIRE ( POS. ON GREEN/BLUE & NEG. ON THE ORANGE) ON THE SHIFT MOTOR SIDE & IT READ (CONTINUITY). IS THAT CORRECT ????

Old 11-17-2005, 08:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Dumb question.....did you try rocking it back and forth with the key on while pressing the shifting buttons? It solved the same problem with my 1999. I was shutting it off or getting it stuck in mud and it would die while still in gear.

techie

Quick Reply: HONDA 450 ES FOREMAN SHIFTING PROBLEMS