Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

warn 424 on rubicon

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005 | 06:51 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default warn 424 on rubicon

if any of u have it, does it help any? i thought about buying it but i want to know if it is worth it. can u get the front wheels up?

Old 11-20-2005 | 07:48 PM
Pro Rider

Getting the front wheels up is going to be how much you weigh and how well you can finesse the machine because the Rubicon just doesn't have that kind of snap. I had a Rubicon and installed a 424 on it and I can tell you it handled much better and lightened the steering signficantly. I never really could get it to powerslide the way I envisioned, but I think that was due to the SuperSwamper Vampires I had on it. One thing though, do NOT get intimidated by the installation if you aren't all that mechanically-inclined. I absolutely hate turning wrenches and I did this purely because I had to for the performance gain and it's not a problem at all. In a nutshell, all you're doing is removing the front driveshaft and replacing it with the 424 unit, which is easy in itself. Most of the install time is spent removing plastic, bolts and what not.

Old 11-20-2005 | 08:39 PM
Pro Rider

The 424 turns the Rubi into a fun sportier handling quad. As far as pulling the front end up, i suppose it would make it easier, but like RedGoblin said this is something that the Rubi is not that good at. I say the 424 is worth every penny in my opinion.

Old 11-21-2005 | 04:05 AM
Trailblazer

well i didn't really realize a big difference in power but it improved the handling alot. made it alot easier to steer and real easy to slide and swip around, if you know how to handle it well it will wheel stand really easy as it is, on thing that i put on mine it a K&N filter which seened to help a bit

Old 11-21-2005 | 11:55 AM
Trailblazer

Like everyone said above, it handles SO much better when in two wheel drive. Never regretted purchasing it once. Never got the front wheels up too much weight up front (with my winch and mount).

Old 11-21-2005 | 02:03 PM
Pro Rider

Highly recommended, I have one on my Forman....great piece. Lighter Steering, big fun factor with regards to handling, maybe more power due to reduced rotating mass, either way definantly worth the money and the work. It also comes with fantastic instructions if you want to install it yourself.

Old 11-22-2005 | 10:37 AM
Trailblazer

I would imagine that it would make wheelies easier. I can get mine up and I don’t have the 424, it will be my next purchase though

Old 11-22-2005 | 01:31 PM
Pro Rider

a slight tug on the bars gets my Rubicon up too, not enough to hold it with power, but I can balance it for a ways. 2wd isn't going to make a significant difference, and wheelies aren't important.

I, for one, have no desire to add the feature. My machine is what it is. It doesn't handle and isn't going to with a 424.

I do like to laugh at people that get stuck because they forgot to shift it back into 4wd until it was too late, especially the ones that like to point out I can't take it out of 4wd. Come around a corner and a big hill or mud hole is there.....stop or get the fr/rear tire speeds just right if you can, shift into 4wd, go......not for me. Most of my buddies just shift it into 4wd before we ride anyway.

And that ugly **** looks like an afterthought.....well I guess it is.

If I drove fire roads all the time, maybe. Think about whether you need it carefully. Wheelies are not a good reason to buy a 424.

Old 11-22-2005 | 04:05 PM
Trailblazer

once again i'll say this it makes and exteme amount of difference in handling, and if you accually ride alot and are a very extreme rider tackling any amount of tuff terrain it can be very helpful and almost crucial to be able to take the front end up when ever you want it and when you want it. But i guess this depends on your riding terrain and abilities.

Old 11-22-2005 | 04:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Let me "chime" in here. I for one do not own a Rubicon but I do own an 05 Rancher that I installed a 424 on.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I have no problem with that. I will say that the 424 made a big difference in handling and I also noticed the machine was more "peppy" in 2wd. Not to mention how much lighter the steering is.

I don't ride mud all the time but when I do go....just a push of the button on the **** takes it back to 4wd. Also, there is less wear and tear on the front diff. and cv joints when in 2wd.

My neighbor has a 2003 Rubicon and he just installed one on his last week and he loves the thing.

Quick Reply: warn 424 on rubicon