Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

450r kick or electric

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 09:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 450r kick or electric

buying new 450 i heard e start revs slower due to timimg retarding, also heard weight difference is totally noticeable, i need input! racing in spring how would i like a dead engine start on this bike? ok how about the hrc kit with cam on either bike? or leave stock, with full pipe? im a mess

Old 12-07-2005, 01:52 PM
Pro Rider

get e-start unless your super pro and can notice 10-15pounds. much better to have. guys have said good stuff about the hrc kit so i would look at that as an option. a friend of mine has his motor sent to sparks racing for ihigh comp piston, port n polish, cams, full exhaust, diff carb, but thats cause his is an 03 etc...its a beast. I know hes getting a 06' and believe he already swore he wanted e-start, lol, not sure what hes gonna do to the motor.

Old 12-07-2005, 03:09 PM
Pro Rider

If you don't mind kick starting go with it. Many riders will tell you they kickstart easy, and they do. I took a chance when I bought mine and im glad I did. This all boils down to personal opinion of course.

Old 12-08-2005, 01:52 PM
Pro Rider

the kick isnt hard at all. but i ride trails a lot so i would say e-start. i would say kick if u do a lot of racing. 5 pounds is a lot to those guys. just my .02

Old 12-10-2005, 01:53 AM
Range Rover

I have an 06 with ES.....Not sure how much I like it yet.....My 05 with KS was pretty easy to kick, so I think if the kickstart was available then i would have gone with that...

Saves weight and money.....

the HRC kit is a must.....just had it put on today and WOW.....really brings the bike to life.....hands down a great value for the money

There are other better ways to go fast, but not for the same money and ability to keep the warranty intact

HRC kit is not just a cam...it gives some extra Revs, head pipe, exhaust cap etc.....GREAT DEAL FOR THE PRICE!!! IMO

Old 12-10-2005, 01:56 AM
Range Rover

I think the weight difference is only about 6-7 lbs...not 100% sure

One thing you do need to change is the handle bars....They are set too low.....

Next for me is tires and rims 20" on the front and 19" rear...

Thinking abotu 18" rear, but I may do things other than MX, plus the 19" rears won't hit the rev limiter as fast as the 18" rears

Old 12-11-2005, 12:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

I own a 2005 450r and when i kick it, it works fine for me. it kinda goes down to what u really want because electric starts are great, and so are kick starts just a little less weight....

Old 12-11-2005, 04:00 AM
Trailblazer

Get the Kicker.

1) JET the bike correctly for your area, and your golden.

2) warm the bike up.

3) Half kick = happy camper.

My 05-450R was running WAY lean from the factory. I did the "Uncorking your R" on a budget airbox mods ,

http://www.trx450r.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=1672

And I jetted the bike for my altitude/temperature. When cold the bike takes 4-5 kicks to start with the choke on, then once warm, it'll take a 1/2 kick. I NEVER have trouble firing my bike up. Im sure E-start is kewl and all. I just dont see a need for one on a sport quad IMO. I mean if you cant kick over a 450cc motor , then WTF are ya doing on one to begin with. Get a utility.

Old 12-11-2005, 08:10 AM
Range Rover

the HRC kit for the 06 is amazing!!!

It is must in my opinion.....night and day difference....

I had some "A' riders take it for a spin and they were amazed at the power and the way it was delivered....

The 05 wasn't as aggressive....

Hands down a great deal for the performance you get out of it.....It even gives you an extra 1,000 RPM and actually taps into some of the potential of that motor

Old 12-12-2005, 12:53 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: hillbillysmw
buying new 450 i heard e start revs slower due to timimg retarding, also heard weight difference is totally noticeable, i need input! racing in spring how would i like a dead engine start on this bike? ok how about the hrc kit with cam on either bike? or leave stock, with full pipe? im a mess

The 06 kick start model is not out yet.

The hot cam stage two is said to dyno out at a 1.5 horse more on over rev than the 06 HRC cam. The pipe manufacturers are saying that it is difficult to improve on the power of the stock muffler with HRC header though. I am going to buy the HRC kit, e-bay the cam and buy a hot cam stage II. I will wait until someone does an unbiased test on an aftermarket pipe and it produces significantly more power on a dyno before a buy one.

Quick Reply: 450r kick or electric