Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

need help rancher at is gear select is blinking - -

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 07:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help rancher at is gear select is blinking - -

has anyone had this happen to them . im out riding on my 2004 honda rancher at the other day stop at a buddies house shut the bike off and then latter came out to start so i did and where the gear select indicater would be on the dash all its doing is flashing - - and uder that its flashing esp any ideas on what it could be .

thanks

also i notice now and then i loos power when im in auto mode, for example i could be going oh say 10mph and then slow down to 4 of 5 then hit the throttle it boggs and doesent seem to want to shift.

any ideas on that.

Old 12-19-2005, 07:38 AM
Range Rover

turn the key and press up, down shift at the same time hold it for a sec release, then press it again and the number of blinks you get is the code #. Get that and check back, I dont know all the codes, but this will get you started.

Old 12-19-2005, 03:20 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Also we need to know what year the rancher is.

Old 12-20-2005, 02:24 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do the rancher AT's work the same way as the ES models? I guess you probably cant leave the key on and rock it back and forth in gear. Probably hard to get it stuck between gears when there are multitudes.

Old 12-28-2005, 09:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey thank for responding and the rancher is a 2004 .

Old 12-28-2005, 09:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey dwpalmer thanks for responding . i did what u sudjested and this is what i get .

it blinks four times then goes blank for a sec or two then comes back on for a sec and then starts to blinke over agan .

hope u can help

thanks

Old 12-30-2005, 07:52 AM
Range Rover

is your rancher an at or es

if its an es here are the codes:
1 gear indicator flash ecu writing and recording circuit.
2 es shift switch up and down
3 angle sensor system
4 gear position switch system
5 ecu motor driver circuit
6 ecu fail-safe relay circuit
7 ecu voltage convert circuit
8 angle sensor system
9 angle sesor system
10 ignition pulse generator system
11 vehicle speed sensor system
12 gear postion switch system

I dont know the at codes, ill check my manual for reseting procedures

Old 12-30-2005, 05:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey dwpalmer its a 400rancher AT . see what u can look up if u dont mind thanks

Old 12-30-2005, 07:16 PM
Range Rover

I couldnt find any post on the at but the codes may be similar to that of a rubicon. Here are the ruby codes. Try the Initial Setting Procedure or erasing the codes

Rubicon Hondamatic Code Retrieval
1. Put the gear shift lever in neutral (be sure the neutral indicator comes on) and the ignition switch OFF (vehicle at a stop).
2. While pushing the UP and DOWN shift switches (ESP) simultaneously, turn the ignition key to the on position.
3. Release the UP and DOWN switches immediately, then at the same time push both the UP and DOWN shift switches again and hold form more than 2 seconds.
4. The problem code is displayed by a certain number of blinks “ - - “ on the gear indicator, which indicates the problem code by the number of blinks. If “N” (neutral) stays ON on the position indicator, the retrieval process was not correctly performed. Repeat the procedures from step one at this time.)
5. When the problem code(s) displays, release the shift switches.

You should see “ - - “ for approximately 3 seconds then off, then the “ - - “ should flash, once for code one, twice for code two and so on. The engine control module (ECM) can store two different codes. If your ECM has stored two different codes, the first code displayed is the most recent and the second code is the earlier code. Write them down.
To Erase the Problem Codes
1. Push and hold the UP and DOWN shift switches simultaneously for 3 seconds of more while the problem code is being displayed (i.e., “ - - “ blinking on the gear position indictor).
2. When the erasure is completed, the blinking pattern changes to the erasure confirmation blink.
3. Turn the ignition off.

Initial Setting Procedure
Note:
· After replacement of any of the following parts, perform the initial setting procedure below.
- ECM
- Throttle sensor*
- Angle sensor
*Also, perform the initial setting procedure if the throttle cable is disconnected (i.e., car-buretor removal/installation, cable replacement etc.).
· The gear position blinks in Indicator Mode 2 when the initial setting was not made properly. Repeat the procedure from step 2.
1. Start the engine and let it idle about one minute with the sub-transmission in neutral. Stop the engine.
2. Make sure the gearshift lever is in the neutral position (be sure the neutral indicator comes on) and turn the ignition switch off.
3. Turn the ignition switch ON while pushing the UP and DOWN shift switches (ESP shift switches) simultaneously.
4. Release both the UP and DOWN shift switches immediately, then push and release the shift switches in the order of UP, DOWN, and UP. Do not hold the switches in).
5. A constant “ - - “ indication stays ON on the gear selector indicator. (If the gear position indicator shows a continuous “N”, repeat the procedure from step 2.)
6. Move the throttle lever to the fully closed position, then to the fully open position, and then move it to the fully closed position again immediately (within 10 seconds) after “ - - “ comes ON on the gear position indicator.
7. Check the control motor operation sound (the control motor should function at this time to adjust the angle sensor).
8. When the initial setting procedure is complete, the indication on the gear selector indicator changes from the continuous lighting of “ - - “ to the continuous lighting of “N”.
Code 1 - Ignition Pulse Generator system
Code 2 - Speed Sensor System
Code 3 - Gear Position Switch System
Code 4 - Throttle Sensor System
Code 5 - Angle Sensor System (Motor lock i.e., angle sensor, wiring, ECM, control
motor, motor transmission section, transmission unit)
Code 6 - Angle Sensor System (swash plate angle, sensor / wiring)
Code 7 - ESP shift switch system
Code 8 - ECM EEPROM
Code 9 - ECM voltage converter circuit
Code 10 - ECM fail-safe relay circuit
Code 11 - ECM motor drive circuit
Code 12 - ECM CPU

Old 01-11-2006, 11:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey dwpalmer thanks for the info i fixed . come to find out it was the throttle sencer . i had takeing it off one to to adjust my vavles and put it on wrong.

thanks agan

Quick Reply: need help rancher at is gear select is blinking - -