Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

87 fourtrax 250 tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 fourtrax 250 tires

Are you thinking of doing this stuff to your 85 Honda Fourtrax 250 with the K&N Air Filter?

I drive my 250 without the airbox and I guess it probably boosts the power by a bit although it isn't as noticeable as it is on my 400ex. It all depends on the type of riding you do. Most of my riding is done through a field and on open spaces so the 25" swampfoxes aren't really a problem. I also noticed that they are a bit taller than 25" mudbusters so I do have a bit more top end with them on. I find that cornering is better with them too. However, I did take the 250 through a mudrun one time and the swampfoxes pulled me right through. I couldn't go through in third so I had to go through in 2nd gear. I could go through in 3rd with the mudbusters although my time was worse as I just spun through rather than going through. It was pretty cool. My '86 Fourtrax 250 beat a new 250ex, pretty much the same engine (except better) and a lighter machine.

My biggest problem going through the mud was that I was in the same competition as grizzlies in 2-wheel drive. I would love to one day go back, modify the 250 and be able to beat the grizzlies. I don't know how I will, but I know it's possible. The biggest problem is that I can't really find any mods besides a K&N Air Filter for this bike. I know that it is one of my goals in life (LOL) so I'll have to wait till school's over so I get a good job and spend money on that beast of a 250 heh.

Overall though, 25" tires are good on the 250. I wish it was geared higher for the riding I do with it as it does top out and there is no rev limiter so I don't want to blow up the engine. I figure the best rev limiter would be making the gearing taller. If you barely ever use 5th gear, get a smaller tire size though. Smaller tires are better because they are lighter and lower your gearing.

Old 09-29-2006, 04:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 fourtrax 250 tires

Yep, I am planning on doing this stuff to my Honda. It's 1985 Honda Fourtrax 250 2 wheel shaft drive for those of you who don't know. My plan is to put 23x7x10 on the front and run maybe a 25x12.5x9 or the original 25x12x9 in the rear with very aggressive tread. I figure the taller tires in the front will increase my ground clearance and handling. Putting the aggressive tread on the back is for mud and snow, right now it seems like it is geared pretty low and will chew up anything, so with think tread it should just pull me through or over anything. The wheeler is just a toy and gives me something to dink around on and have fun, but im not goin to put too much into it. Before the exhaust rots out I might get one of the pipes that Cobra makes for it. There are other things like Hotcam and such, but no need to be rippin apart a perfectly good motor. If it does blow some how ill probably throw a nice piston in it and bore it out a lil. I've got my other wheeler up for sale in the local paper right now. I out grew it and it's just been sitting in the barn for the last couple years. I looked like a clown ridin that poor thing.