Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Transmission......

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 02:07 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission......

I've heard some stories about the Hondamatic tranny's breaking down, is this true? why do they break?
how would you guys compare the Hondamatic tranny with Ultra-matic (yamaha) tranny in trems of reliability and preformance?? Also in one of the Bombardier video's, the Honda 400 AT only pulled the trailer like 2 feet...WTF's with that?!?! Thats has to be wrong!?!?! right?.......

thanks
HR

Old 02-12-2006, 05:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I've seen a few threads about someone having trouble with a Honda auto, but from what I have seen they are really quite rare.

Honda's auto doesn't really compare to Yamaha or Bombardier, in that Honda uses either a hydrostatic drive (like some tractors use) or in the case of the Rinccon, a 3 speed automatic with torque converter (like a mini version of a car transmission).

The others use a CVT belt. Essentially a big V belt that rides on pullies who's sides compress as RPM changes- changing the diameter where the belt rides and thus the gear ratio. Some people seem to go for years w/o having to mess with the belt, but on the other hand I've seen one that failed on the 2nd ride on a new machine...

Old 02-12-2006, 07:27 PM
Trailblazer

what do you thinks better, belt or hydrostatic, which is more maintence ?

thanks
HR

Old 02-12-2006, 10:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I am personally not a big fan of belts. Some require periodic adjustment with shims, and some only require inspection and replacement if too worn.

Deep mudders seem to favor Artic Cat 500, apparently because it is one of the few quads with independent rear suspension and a geared transmission... so not to have to worry about mud seeping in to cause belt to slip and burn.

Honda's automatic transmissions share the same oil as the engine, so there really isn't much maintence to do. Transmission should last the life of the quad, but if it doesn't it could get expensive.

Old 02-13-2006, 03:15 PM
Pro Rider

I personaly work on all brands, and yes the earlier honda auto being the 500's hade some tranny problems. Those all were realated to the oil pump that hade went bad. If you are looking to buy on go for a 03 or newier and bring it in and have to oil pressure tested.
Far as belt drives, only a problem if you make it one.
You have to samurge them or pull heave loads in high to break them. Otherwise just a tune up every 100 hours to get the belt and clutchs cleaned and adjusted.