Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Oil Filter on Backwards

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 12:18 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Filter on Backwards

I bought a used 2002 Honda Rancher ES 4x4. It has 1700 miles on it, and looks good. Lots of dirt on it, but the frame seemed straighter and less beat up than others on the market.

Well, imagine my chagrin when I get it home, do an oil change and find the oil filter was installed backwards. The element has a anti-backflow valve in it. The Honda Service manual (which was sold with the quad, nice! (so I thought...)) is explicit "severe engine damage will result if the filter is installed backwards".

I decided to adjust the valves, and to see the condition of them. There seemed to be plenty of oil up top, and the valves were adjusted perfectly.

Anybody have experience with this? Did you have problems? Do I have to add checking the oil filter to the list of checks when buying used?

Old 02-20-2006, 12:32 PM
Pro Rider

well, if the oil filter was on backwards, it simply wouldnt get oil to the crank, clutch, transmission and valve train. I dont see how you could have oil up there if the oil filter was on backwards. Maybe you got lucky and the drainback valve failed and let some oil through... But i wouldnt bet on it. Does it sound normal when it runs?? Let me know what happens with this..

Old 02-20-2006, 02:16 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Ive seen that before too. The oil filter doesnt completely block the hole, in the cover, if the filter is on backwards. Check it out the next time its off for an oil change. But the filter is useless, because no oil is being filtered, and the inlet is very restricted, but oil does get by. My guess, is the motor wasnt revved very hard, or run hot, and survived the event.
If its not smoking, and theres no unpleasant noises, and the clutch seems to be working fine...itll be ok. Besides, at this point you havent much choices, either keep it or dump it, and if its running ok, id keep it.
Thats the downside to buying used...you get a better price, but you have to take your chances with who did the maintance.

Old 02-20-2006, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definately not a good thing, the filter in backwards. When caught right away it could be ok. I have seen cases where only the rocker holder, rocker shaft, and rocker arms need replacement from oil starvation. Most of the time though, when they come in this way, complete top end replacement is needed to repair the damage. And yes, there have been some bad ones where I have had to replace everything related to the crankshaft, clutch and top end. A few have needed crankcase replacement as well. when they have gotten so hot that the cylinder studs pull the threads from the crankcase.... normally on the studs that hold down the rocker holder.

----- Gregg -----

Old 02-20-2006, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

You are lucky my friend installed his backwards, and blew his up going WFO down tared road. All 4 tires locked up. The oil filter has always been one thing I have never liked about the hondas.

Old 02-20-2006, 11:48 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: ToughGUY2169
You are lucky my friend installed his backwards, and blew his up going WFO down tared road. All 4 tires locked up. The oil filter has always been one thing I have never liked about the hondas.
yeah the raptor has a nice spin-on filter like a car. i liked that.

Old 02-21-2006, 12:26 AM
RIP Dear Friend

I don't about the filters for the 2002 Honda Rancher ES 4x4 but the ones that I have purchased from the dealer for my Honda TRX300 4x4 say or is embossed on one end of the cartridge filter, this end out or this side out, so there would be no mistaking which end goes where.

Old 02-21-2006, 12:22 PM
Trailblazer

This filter was embossed all right, on both sides, quite clearly. A case of incredible stupidity. I hope I'm lucky, it's not smoking, and seems fine. I think the spring actually was off-center a bit, and this let oil pass the filter. It may have had less oil pumped, and certainly unfiltered oil, but only time will tell. I need to take it out for a long ride. And yes, I have 2 choices, but I will keep it at this point. I usually buy new for myself, but this is a second machine, so I couldn't justify the extra dollars.

Old 02-21-2006, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like a case of stupidity. Evan if you dodn't get the filter from a dealer, you should always pay attention to how something comes apart. Or atleast I do. I like my brute's screw on filter.

Old 02-22-2006, 02:33 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Most people buy the emgo filters, and they arent marked, and if they werent paying attention, or the spring came out and it distracted them, its happens way too often. Add to that, if they also own a suzuki, the filter on them does go in backwards from a honda, but looks very close to identicle.
Stuff happens.

Quick Reply: Oil Filter on Backwards