ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Honda (https://atvconnection.com/forums/honda/)
-   -   Who uses regular oil in their ATV's (https://atvconnection.com/forums/honda/232832-who-uses-regular-oil-their-atvs.html)

reconranger 03-06-2006 07:46 PM

Who uses regular oil in their ATV's

I'll bet those NASCARS are running Redline, which is an Ester Synthetic! It may say some other oil brand on the hood, but underneath it's probably Redline..........

Maxima Extra and Amsoil are quite a bit different, in terms of their chemistry. Rotella is an example of a group III, Amsoil and Mobil 1 are group IV PAO's, and Extra and Redline are group V Esters. After much study on the subject, I have concluded that the esters are the best oils available!

Specta 03-07-2006 12:49 AM

I used Valvoline 10w40 for the first 3000 miles in our 01 Rubicon and have used Valvoline 4-Stroke 10w40 ATV oil for the last 3000 miles. I have had zero problems.

reconranger 03-07-2006 12:16 PM

Actually, the best oil is a blend of Esters and PAO. The two compliment each other in may ways! Esters tend to make seals swell and PAO's make them shrink. Maxima Extra is Ester based, but adds in enough PAO to balance it out so your seals don't do funny things.

Chris142 03-08-2006 12:49 AM

My 1st quad was a Mojave. I had lots of camshaft problems with it. I tried Motule, Mobil-1, Amsoil Motorcycle oils and still had cam wear problems.

The last time I replaced the cam and follower I went to "car" oils. It's been a couple of years and my cam is still good. Some people said that I would have clutch problems but not yet. Maybe it doesn't make enough power to slip the clutch?

Plus replacing a clutch is much cheaper and easier than the cam and follower so I am sticking with the "car" oils.

My new 400ex is gettin MC oil for now. I've never seen one have cam problems so hopefully mine will be ok.

reconranger 03-08-2006 11:31 AM

Hi Chris! But isn't the Mojave famous for having poor oil flow to one of the cams? Strictly a design problem??? Here, wouldn't a great oil with a great add pack give you an extra margin of protection for a bad design???

Doctorturbo 03-08-2006 08:51 PM

Many cam makers say doNOT use a synthetic oil on brake-in of a new camshaft. A lot of research has been done in this area by cam makers.

SandmanBlue 03-09-2006 01:43 PM

I've always used 10/40 Valvoline in just about every bike/quad I've owned. Never had any issues with clutches or wear. I even use it in 2-stroke trannies because it seems to make the shifting smoother. I've had notchy shifting on some engines when using the "gear saver" kind of oils.

When it comes to NASCAR and INDY cars, I fortunately am friends with a chemical engineer that supplies several teams with special lubricants for their cars. The race teams look for any advantage they can possibly get in order to make more hp. They definitely don't just throw regular oils in these motors. They use common base stock, but after that, the additives used are quite expensive and somewhat secretive.

ridinredODB 03-09-2006 07:47 PM

i always use amsoil

OutRacing 03-09-2006 09:40 PM

hey asfasasu3, it doesn't look like any one is bashing you at all. I too have always run valvoline in all of my quads 10w40. I run my 400ex very hard and have never had a problem. I mean, I know that the 400ex is the most reliable quad ever made, (now I'll be the one to get bashed) but still, in the 8 years that I have had it, I have only had to put in two clutches. Check out my photos. I run in the harsh 90 degree days and on Lake Erie when it is frozen. Like -20 outside. I'll tell ya, Valvoline is the way to go.

jaggers2e42 03-09-2006 09:51 PM

this seems to be a on going question but anyway i run 10-30 castrol in mine...no problems.