ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Honda (https://atvconnection.com/forums/honda/)
-   -   Who uses regular oil in their ATV's (https://atvconnection.com/forums/honda/232832-who-uses-regular-oil-their-atvs.html)

cluby 03-19-2006 01:10 PM

Who uses regular oil in their ATV's

That's not my point, any person that uses sythices can have those types of problems.
We can go around and around on this subject, everyone likes there own stuff.

Hillbillymudder 04-01-2006 09:50 PM

i have a foreman and i always run castrol gtx 10w 30 in it. runs smoother than any other oil. ive used the gn4 and pennsoil

raidermike67 04-02-2006 10:16 PM

That's not my point, any person that uses sythices can have those types of problems.
We can go around and around on this subject, everyone likes there own stuff. >>>>>

I run synthetic in everything I own with zero problems. There are about a dozen vehicles now being made that come from the factory with synthetic oil, usually Mobil 1. I believe the new Corvettes require synthetics such as Mobil 1 or you warranty will be voided if you have engine failure.

It's not a matter of "everyone likes their own stuff". It has been proven time and time gain that synthetic oil reduces wear significantly and will help prolong the life if your engine. In particular stage IV synthetics such as Amzoil.....with a bypass filter you can run it 100,000 miles between changes.

raidermike67 04-02-2006 10:21 PM

have hade tons of people come up and say that they have a shifting problem with there Ricon, and guess what they aren't using Honda oil. If you have a automatic that uses the oil to dirve them don't use anything but the factory oil. Those people hade Amsoil in there's and guess what problem sovled when they changed back to Honda oil >>>>>>>>>

I swapped my factory oil to synthetic after my first ride and have had zero problems whatsoever. In fact it's due for another oil change.

crazypainter 04-02-2006 10:27 PM

My wife worked in an oil analysis lab for a large midwestern Cat dealer for 12 years. What she tells me about synthetics is the only benefit is if you go way over on changing oil. If you change at 3000 or so they are all pretty much equal. after that she saw Mobil as being one of the best along with Valvoline and Castrol, Pennzoil and the other pennsylvania crudes would sludge up sooner than the others because it had a higher parafin or ash or something else in it that I don't exactly remember[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] I use Valvoline ATV in my bikes although I have run regular Valvoline 10/40 without a problem, but I change it frequantly.

LURCH84065 04-03-2006 05:45 PM

Just sold a 2003 Rancher 4x4 ES that had 8950 miles on it and I use Valvoline 10/30. Change the oil every 750 miles and it wont much matter what type of oil you are using.
Again change it often and it wont be a big deal. Also make sure every time you change the oil you change the filter if your machine has one.