Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2006 Honda TRX450ER Notes! OWNERS OF UNITS LOOK HERE!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-02-2006, 10:52 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2006 Honda TRX450ER Notes! OWNERS OF UNITS LOOK HERE!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by: reconranger
Good advice about where to put your hand! Every other quad or bike I have ever owned needed trottle while starting, so it's a hard habit to break..........
Yes it is, it has taken me a year to finally be able to leave my hand on the throttle without giving it some gas.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Got rid of your Z400 I see, what made you do that?

Old 11-02-2006, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking of getting a battery tender to keep on the battery so it wouldn't die and I think the quad will be fine as long as you treat it properly without beating it up like maintanance and keeping you hand off the throttle while starting...Have they made any changes to the battery from the 06 to 07 models like a better battery or do they sell a battery with more cranking power?...If anyone could help on this please let me know I am getting a K&N for xmas and will be most likely be putting an exhaust by then so how far off is the jetting from leveling out the mixture...is it off about 1 size on the main I haven't looked at the carb yet so I don't know what size jets are in it but I will def need to be rejetting so if anyone could steer me into the right direction of to what size jet I should use please let me know thanks and will go with a dynojet and what would the jets equal in the different manufacturers

Old 11-02-2006, 08:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

hi im just wondering what the stock gearing is for the 05 450r

Old 11-02-2006, 10:45 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got rid of the Z, because I wasn't getting to ride the R enough. Only have room for 5 quads in the trailer, so the R always got left home. I was only riding it in the local hills, but never out in the open desert which is what I got it for in the first place. Sold it to my brother-in-law (he was riding it all along anyway......for free), so it is still around.

Old 11-07-2006, 10:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would really appreciate your help with my 450er.

Bought it used, well maintained.

JE 13:1 high comp piston
Web Cam
Kibblewhite valve springs
Port and polish
NMotion Exhuast
Vortex X10 ignition
Direct Drive Lock-Up Clutch

Decompressor was way too tight, set to factory specs and it fires right up at the hit of the starter button when cold and choked. Takes a few more spins when hot.

Here's the problem: After the engine is hot and you shut it off. If you go back to start it relatively soon, you get nothing but a click of the relay. And if you put it in gear, you can't push it. Something is locked. If you let it cool for several minutes, everything is free and it starts fine. It's got a lexan clutch cover..and if you hit the starter button several times (and you have the clutch engaged in neutral) you can see it move ever so slightly. SOmetimes it will even release and spin free and start.

We removed the starter clutch and there are some flat spots but it looks ok, as do the needle bearings. It spins only in one direction as is correct. All the reductoin gears are sharp and spin freely. The battery tests good at 220CCA and I keep it on a trickle charger. With the case off and the starter clutch off, the starter spins quietly and freely.

We had been filling the trans only to the weep hole and I've seen posts that it should be filled more than that.

Any ideas....I'm stumped.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Old 11-08-2006, 09:12 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: reconranger
Note that the last post on here is from March.......still, good info and not a bad post to resurrect.

I (thankfully!) have the kick starter! On a cold start, I pump the throtle 4 times, to inject fuel into the carb. Set the choke full on. It will ususlly start first kick, but occasionally a second is required. The engine will race (not at all good for a cold engine), so I have to be ready to turn the choke off immediately. I then have to sit and baby it for a couple of minutes until it is fully warm.

For a hot start, just pull the hot start button, and never give it any throtle until it has already gotten going. Starts first kick every time.

I have not recently put any time on my buddies electric start R's, but I will make a point to in the future and help them refine the process., as they occasionally have problems.

A word to the wise......If I were buying a brand new 07 R, I would still get the kick starter! I have the start procedure so down now, that even my smallish girlfriend can easily start it.
Come on....160 is not smallish. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-08-2006, 12:59 PM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!

I'm running a 170 main in my 06 450R and it seems about perfect. It has no bog and no starting problems. that with the lid off and a slip on exhaust.

Old 11-12-2006, 10:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

I am new to this board and just purchased an 06 450ER and had the dealer install the HRC kit. When I got it home and took the seat off, the cover of the air box was removed. What is the official word on the air box cover with the HRC kit? I looked through the HRC instructions but it doesn't say. When I called the dealer back to ask why it was off, he told me it wouldn't run with it on. Can someone let me know what is the best way to handle this?

Old 11-12-2006, 10:40 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lid off is standard equipment with the HRC kit! Do you ride in a lot of wet and mud??????

I ride desert, so wet and mud is extremely rare (isn't God good!). I highly recommend the EHS Racing airbox lid. It has an Outerwears over the opening, and will at least keep out the worst of the big stuff! http://www.ehsracing.com/

Old 11-12-2006, 11:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

I live in the Midwest and unfortunately it is very wet and muddy! I am thinking about riding today and it is very wet and muddy, what would you suggest for the air box until I get the cover you sent...airbox on or off? Thanks for the link!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 Honda TRX450ER Notes! OWNERS OF UNITS LOOK HERE!!!!!!!!!!!