Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

best way to cut 400ex fenders?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 08:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best way to cut 400ex fenders?

i have a 400ex and i was woundering what is the bast way to cut the front fenders?

Old 03-31-2006, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider

don't its pointless, makes the quad look like crap and makes you look like a 12 yearold, cuts down resale value, and most importantly makes riding through a puddle terrible

advantages = none

Old 03-31-2006, 11:28 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Do you have a balloon?

With a jig jaw. Use a sharpie, and draw the lines you want. Once happy with the lines, cut.

Old 04-01-2006, 12:03 AM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally posted by: TractorPacker
With a jig jaw. Use a sharpie, and draw the lines you want. Once happy with the lines, cut.
Or use a "dry erase" eraser. The line wipe off real easy that way. After cutting them use some very fine sand paper to smooth the edges.

Old 04-01-2006, 01:26 AM
Trailblazer

I used a saw zaw, then once i got them close to what i wanted i used a rough file to get them right then used sand paper to finish them off, there is pics in my profile to give ya an idea of what mine looked like when i cut them, personally i think it looks alot better than stock!
Wreckless

Old 04-01-2006, 01:55 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Wreckless400ex
I used a saw zaw, then once i got them close to what i wanted i used a rough file to get them right then used sand paper to finish them off, there is pics in my profile to give ya an idea of what mine looked like when i cut them, personally i think it looks alot better than stock!
Wreckless
is it a good idea to do or should i not bother with it? im just woundering about getting to muddy

Old 04-01-2006, 06:15 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RacerX9098
Originally posted by: Wreckless400ex
Wreckless
is it a good idea to do or should i not bother with it? im just woundering about getting to muddy
If you trail ride, don't do it. If you ride on an mx track that is watered and you find the mud caking up, then do....if not, your fenders will crack at the front mounting tabs.

For $5, you can get a small handsaw that has a blade the resembles a sawzall blade. Use tape to mark your lines. If you can bend the tape to your liking, you will be able to get the saw blade to duplicate. cut one fender first and then mark the other as you may not be able to stick to your lines.

/Jon

Old 04-01-2006, 06:17 AM
Trailblazer

its not to great for muddin, it flings a lil bit of mud and stuff to the face but then again that still happens with stock fenders. I would say go for it, and if you dont like it by cool aftermarket plastic

Wreckless

Old 04-01-2006, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: LittleBill
don't its pointless, makes the quad look like crap and makes you look like a 12 yearold, cuts down resale value, and most importantly makes riding through a puddle terrible

advantages = none
well i see you must have never drove a quad with a race front. first off most people think it looks better cut. and going throught mud/water it does not get all over from the cut plastic. i have cut plastic and my friend has full non cut plastic. we both get just as muddy. and i ride trail some times and its not any worse than running full fenders. only thing that happens some times with cutt plastic is a little rock or chunck of mud can fly off the tires some times and hit you. now as long as you have gogoles on you have nothing to wory about.

also their IS advantages of cut plastic.
#1 you will feel like you have more control over the quad with cut plastic.

#2 with full fenders mud collects under them. the weight can add up and you may be running around with a extra 40lbs of mud on your quad. thats going to slow you down.

#3 you can see wair your tires are. their for you can see better if you are going to hit a rock/hole/ exc.. witch in turn would make you be able to handle the quad better then.

#4 if your a jumper and jump doubles and stuff like that, well on a calm day no wind you may be able to jump and land perfect. but on a windy day with full fenders your pushing more wind than you would think and you have a good chance of coming up short on the landing.

#5 by cutting the plastic you will gain 1-2 mph because your then pushing less wind.

see theirs advantages. why else would most racers run race cut plastic?

and i baught my 400ex and right away i put maier race plastic on it. then i baught a nuther maier front and it was a full front. i drove it and felt like i lost alot of controll and felt tippier and felt like i was driving a box. i wouldnt even hit big jumps with full fenders. so i cut it.

Old 04-01-2006, 05:19 PM
Trailblazer

yeah i can see what you mean. i tink im going to do it. ive riden a few with cut fenders and i dint get all that muddy. and it sure does help to be able to see the tires. i have a saw zaw and will try it that way.

thanks guys

Quick Reply: best way to cut 400ex fenders?