Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Recon driving me crazy

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 09:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recon driving me crazy

We are new ATv riders, my husband has a 2006 rancher 350es, my son has a polaris predator 50, and i have a 2006 recon es. Initially when we bought the recon it was running very rough at idle and was difficult to start and would stall alot - which we thhought was cold blooded (bought it in december). The when warmed up realized that the problem wasn't due to the cold weather. So then we took it to the dealer - now idles better - but when accelerate from stop it stalls immediatley, stalls if you give it alot of gas while mudding, stalls if brake hard. Put in a full week of riding- constantly stalling - my husband and son keep leaving me in the dust - had to bring out the 2-way radios. My husband and sons atv's run great - wondering if anyone has any suggestions or solutions - am taking it back to the dealer to check it out tommorow - but don't want to get stuck with a dead machine after warranty is up.

Old 03-31-2006, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider

pilot jet sounds clogged, does it only do it initally off the start will it run fine after 1/4 throttle? take it to the dealer tell him u want the carb clean, thats your problem,

will the bike idle?

Old 03-31-2006, 09:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

stalls initially off the start and if put it in neutral and try to rev it it stalls right away. idles better, but not as smoothly as my husbands rancher. thanks

Old 03-31-2006, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

does it run fine above 1/4 throttle?

Old 03-31-2006, 10:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

usually runs fine over 1/4 throttle, but yesterday stalled while i was halfway through a water crossing - banks were within 50 feet either way - my husband was freaking out because of where it stalled - and eventually he got it restarted - having to start it with full choke and had to continue full choke the rest of the way out of the water crossing - ran fine for rest of the day after that.

Old 04-01-2006, 05:40 AM
Range Rover

sounds like its improperly jetted or a sticking float when i put in my dyno jet kit at first the float was sticking and mine would idle fine but when id give it speed it would spit and sputter we kept adjusting the fuel mix not knowing it was float at first and got it to work fine up to 3rd gear. I took it apart and got float working and no longer did the power loss. And runs smooth mines a rancher. Id take it back to dealer and get them to work on carb check your gas tank to my uncle has a vinson and somehow he managed to get a leaf in his gas and it got sucked into the carb every time he would hammer down the leaf would clog up stuff and rob all the power.

Old 04-01-2006, 07:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Took it to dealer today - had them look at it. Mechanic took carb apart - tuned it and cleaned the air filter. He then came to the conclusion that the problem was due to the way that the carb was designed - and that if you give it full throttle it floods it and then causes it to cut off. does this happen with all recons?

Old 04-01-2006, 07:54 PM
Range Rover

no a friend has a 2002 0r 2003 recon his never dies only in really deep water.

Old 04-01-2006, 11:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

It never happened with my recon, or my brother's 250ex (same engine and carb design)

i'd suggest taking it to another repair shop and get a second opinion on it.

Old 04-03-2006, 01:41 PM
Pro Rider

There is nothing wrong with that design...it is proven. I had my through thick and thin...it always out perfromed my Kawasaki Bayou. That mechanic that told you that is a backyard grease monkey. If worse comes to worse, just buy another carb (overhaul it first). I know it is expensive, but there is nothing worse than not trusting your ride. Seadawg

Quick Reply: Recon driving me crazy