Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

250EX buildup in Dirt wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 10:33 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 250EX buildup in Dirt wheels

I was wondering something about this buildup.....

They piped it, and added a K&N filter kit and claim this added noticeably more power over stock. But - there was no mention of a jet kit at all!? Considering that you are now letting in more air on the intake side and evacuating more exhaust gases on the exhaust side, wouldn't they need to rejet and richen up the mixture?

On a related note, I'm pretty disappointed in Dirt Wheels. They always start these buildups and then promise a part 2 to it that takes like 9 months until you actually see it and by that time you forget what part 1 was about. Then there's the buildup itself. Do they really need to waste a quarter of a page on stickers and a flame decal seat cover? Also, whats with posting results like "it feels like it has more power". What exactly does that tell you? How about some numbers to back it up. When a car magazine does a buildup, they show before and after quarter mile times at the very least.

For those who didn't read the article, here is a copy of it....
We had a 250ex. We added better tires, a pipe and some graphics. It's better now. The end.

Just kidding. But seriously......

Old 05-22-2006, 10:46 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it is just assumed that it got a rejet. Would be nice if they pointed that out though, because this quad is ridden by a lot of kids who don't necessarily know that is necessary.

Old 05-23-2006, 07:36 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a pretty lame assumption on their part. I mean, they don't even hint at rejetting in the article. I think the staff needs a course in what makes a buildup a buildup. They could stand to learn a lesson from Car Craft magazine. That mag tabulates the cost of every single modification, even nuts and bolts and stuff they had to buy from a junkyard. They then detail every single step of the buildup. Plus, I understand that you can't show improvements on the dragstrip with a quad like you do a car, but it would be nice if they had some sort of baseline to compare stock vs. modded. That way the reader can decide if all the bolt ons are really worth the cost.

The rejetting thing is a huge oversight though.