Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Race front, or Cut Stock?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2000, 02:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am getting new plastic this winter but i need some clarifying. Does Maier Race Plastic for the 400 have the headlight molded into it or not? Ive heard both. Then, if it doesnt, im going to get Maier Standard plastic and cut them to race fenders. How hard is it to cut plastic because i dont want to make a mistake, it would be a very expensive one! Thanks in advance

Old 11-24-2000, 08:24 AM
Pro Rider

they don't, the race cut you can't put headlights in. maybe the people that said you can was with the maier standard ones

Old 11-24-2000, 08:28 AM
Pro Rider

Go ahead and cut up the stock ones. They're as cheap or cheaper than Maier.

Scott

Old 11-24-2000, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider

I'd say cut the fenders of your stock plastic.

maier plastic is kind of dull, doesn't fit all that good.

If you want to go all out..

www.kandkatv find the full bore plastic link. Its expensive..but wow..

Old 11-24-2000, 11:10 AM
Range Rover

hey, it took me for ever to decide also...but im soooooo happy i finally cut mine...it looks so sweet and better than the dull aftermarket...you can keep that ex "flare" like the r's if you draw it out and cut it right....you also get to keep the 400's calling card which are those two bubble lights on the front...for racing these are sweet to put covers over like i did...ive seen some with black homeade covers which are awesome, but i went with the nacs white covers and its sweet... but its your choice, and remember peeps will always say you should get aftermarket because if you want to ride trails you will get covered up with race fenders....well man, we rode the swamps this past weekend and i was giving it hell too, and i was as clean as any utility or other sport quad there with full fenders.....good luck!

Old 11-24-2000, 12:46 PM
Trailblazer

cuttin stock is pretty easy. do a rough cut with a hacksaw. then comeback with the roughest sand paper you can find on a sanding block and form it smooth.

rayz400ex
Honda 400EX RIDERS site:
http://home.elp.rr.com/hipo/atv/

Old 11-28-2000, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider

cut mine with a saber saw. looks better than the dull maier fenders.

Old 11-28-2000, 08:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey Skull....do you have a good close up pic of your fender cut that you could email to me? I'd appreciate it...I'd like to see the line you ran on your cut.

Old 11-28-2000, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider

When you cut them buy a dremel tool (mabe $50), practice on plastic for a while and then cut it with the dremel. This makes it 100 times easier then say cutting it with a hack saw or something.. eventually you'll use that little tool for everything.. First time cutting atv plastic for came out perfect for me with the dremel.

Old 11-29-2000, 01:34 AM
Pro Rider

I have the factory plastic, Maier regular plastic, and Maier race plastic. If you want to go with an exotic color like white or blue, you have to go with Maier. The stock version looks exactly like stock and you put the black headlight assembly in it. (well, the bottoms of the fenders are about 4" shorter) and you use the factory black sideplates. The race plastic is one piece with no headlight provision and looks almost exactly like a mx 250r in one of the Huevos videos. Both need a piece that covers the gas tank like the factory cover piece.

The easiest way to cut fenders is with a good jigsaw with a metal blade and then take a beltsander or handsand the rough cut to a smooth finish with 200 grit and then 500 grit. Some plastic, you can heat the edge and it looks factory polished.

Quick Reply: Race front, or Cut Stock?