Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Tips on making your 250ex faster

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips on making your 250ex faster

Originally posted by: reconranger
Suspension is where the little 250 really needs help! I haven't gone there yet, because I'm always spending so much on my bigger bikes.

Good point, but considering how much room for improvement there is on the larger models and then how the aftermarket seems to have forgot about the smaller ones I am thinking it would be like was mentioned earlier that you will need to fabricate it etc and that could get interesting.

Old 06-07-2006, 02:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

the only place i can find good quality suspension upgrades for them is on ebay and they are definantly not going it be cheap because you have to spend all that money on the upgrade they sell plus, it uses 450r shocks and springs (Wich are not included) but i dont know how much they cost, i havent looked into a new set of them and plus, that only does the front end. to do the rear end to match you will have to buy a extended rear axle, a new shock and spring setup ext. But, theres people that can modify your stock parts with a bit of cutting and welding wich will more than likely be a whole lot cheaper but i dont know of anyone near me that is capaible of doing that.

Old 06-07-2006, 03:01 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...did/492546.cfm

I tried some new ITP Trac Star radial tires on it, hoping it would cush the ride. Helped some, but the steering was to quick because the tires are very small, and I got a lot of headshake (might have been a bent rim???).

Old 06-07-2006, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 250exrider18
the only place i can find good quality suspension upgrades for them is on ebay and they are definantly not going it be cheap because you have to spend all that money on the upgrade they sell plus, it uses 450r shocks and springs (Wich are not included) but i dont know how much they cost, i havent looked into a new set of them and plus, that only does the front end. to do the rear end to match you will have to buy a extended rear axle, a new shock and spring setup ext. But, theres people that can modify your stock parts with a bit of cutting and welding wich will more than likely be a whole lot cheaper but i dont know of anyone near me that is capaible of doing that.
And then lies the real problem, and thats how you would have been so much better off modding a different machine. I know not everyone can afford to trade up (even used to used) and there are those who have to contend with the age limits too, but just like I was trapped or limited on mods that made sense for the warrior I had so are those with the 250.

When you think of it time really changes it all too, and even when you look at my answer to the warrior (the 400ex) and all the time and money that went into it and how the mfg's finally started making better products etc even though I am much better off than if I had dumped the same $$$$ into the warrior if I was faced with the same decision now I would have to think it would be best to start with a different model.

Thats really true for my needs or really desires etc in what I want to ride, and its different for everyone (I have friends that dont mess with anything besides bars) but if your really looking at more than the basic intake and exhaust mods on the 250ex I have think you would do yourself a favor in the long run to at least look into moving up.

Old 06-08-2006, 12:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

thats sumthing i'v looked into and right now my income is all going into a savings so i can buy a streetbike when i turn 14 but if it was not for that, i would have a 400ex or a 450r right now because i will have to say that i make a good sum racing, usualy 100 bucks a week on average and its a new form of car im just getting use to so once i get better, i can start winning a consistant 300 a week and by then i will have a streetbike and can start saving for a larger model but right now, its out of the question but when i do upgrade, i would like to keep my 250ex because in my opinion thier a GREAT all around bike for all ages and plus iv already put about 1000 in extras so i might as well...

Old 06-08-2006, 01:38 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rode the 250 again tonight, and I realize that I had the Trac Star tires severely over inflated, and that's why I didn't like them so well. With 4 psi front and rear, and riding in the cool of the evening, the ride was superb!!!

Tires can change a quad completely! I highly recommend a change from the lame stockers.

Old 06-08-2006, 02:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

i am very glad that you posted that 250exrider18
but i have a few questions,
whats exactly does the rectifier do?
and if you unplug like you said,
will it cause any long term damage to the engine?

Old 06-08-2006, 03:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

well, from what i understand, it controls the internal charging system inside the engine that recharges the battery so you dont have to always be charging it. from my enderstanding, heres how it works....a magnet is placed on the flywheel and another right above the flywheel so every so often they will slide past each other wich somehow makes a electrical charge wich goes back to the battery and charges it but the downfall of this is that it greatly affects the engine freeness..for instense, my race car is powered by a 600cc honda F4 streetbike engine, when we unplug its rectifier, the rpms jump about 300 rpm so it must be doing something. But to my knowledge, it does nothing to harm the engine, but it will not charge itself anymore so you can either take it off when u need more power or do like i do and every so often throw a charger on it because the battery charge takes quite awhile to go down to 90% wich is not enough to tell a diffrence on mine but it probably takes about 10 hours to get it to 90% so its not like you will have to charge it after every riding session. But like i said earlier, it can give you up to a 10% horsepower increase, so even if that was the case, in my opinion it would still be worth it.

Old 06-08-2006, 07:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey man that sounds sweet, thanks for the info. ill give it a try.
and what year of 250ex do you have?
because i have an 03'.
and looking at the retifier,
all there is is just a little plug,
so im guess you just take the side panel off and unplug it and let it hang there?

Old 06-08-2006, 11:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a '04 and all i did was took the screws out of the black box you were talking about and let it dangle and unhooked the box from the wire and tapped the wire to the frame where the box used to be and never had to take off the panneling but be shure to tape up the open plug in case u wanna put it back on so its not full of dirt