Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

300ex power?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 09:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 300ex power?

OK....time for me to fess up.

I've been a honda rider for years on end. Before 4 wheelers were even thought of. I started out on a honda 200x in the multiple wheeled type atv's, then bought one of the first honda 200SX four wheelers in 1986. It was a kick in the butt.

Then...in 1987 the honda 250X was released. I went right to the dealers and bought one. I rode that thing hard and did every mod to it I could do without getting into the engine. I'll tell you....that was one fun bike cause I eventually got so use to it that it was glued to my a$$ like another leg. I eventually got to where I'd take it to where they had recently logged and got into the *all terrain* riding. I had that dang thing going up and over trees that had been on the ground. The more I *all terrained* it, the more beat it got.

In 1989 I bought another one and continued on in my *all terrain* type riding, transferring all the goodies to my new one and adding full skid plates to better protect the under side. I rode that one until Yamaha released the 350 Warrior and I decided to get one. I rode the Warrior for about 9 months and came to the conclusion that the Warrior sucked. It was top heavy, nose heavy, weighed to damn much and gutless for what it was bragged up to be. I sold the warrior to a friend and went back to hondas.

I bought a Honda 300EX beings it was the bigger brother to the 250X. They are the same bike virtually except for the added cc's anad that wasn't much. BUT.....the legend lived on for the 250X's reliability and overall goodness for the trail riders. The damn things would jump all day long and not complain, drive through almost everything I tossed at it and still keep on going. I added the Supertrapp header and exhaust, K&N filter, Rev Limiter, Rejetted it, stepped up one tooth on the rear sprocket and added a shim for the skidplate for the added diameter of the bigger sprocket, and that sucker'd go any direction I pointed it. I was at the point where I could jump it over a distance of 83 feet, at a height of about 10-12 feet and there were no suprises and not even a hard landing.

In 1993 I bought another Honda 300EX and continued enjoying the reliability and versatility of them.

I had gotten married on 10/29/90 and my wife also enjoyed riding. I got her a Suzuki 230 Quadsport [great little quad] Then....the wife decided it was time for us to have kids. After my son was born, I decided to hang up the craziness for awhile to play the responsible parent. Well.....today my son is 12 and my daughter is 9.

Two weeks ago I went to the Honda dealer and bought 3 new ones. I got myself *another* Honda 300EX [wink], the wife and my son a 250EX each. My daughter got my sons 2003 Suzuki LT80, after she graduated from the 2003 Suzuki LT50.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is, Honda may be slow in the new bikes being released, but.....the legend in reliability and performance still sells me.

As you can see by my sig I've done a few mods to mine already. I plan on taking it to the upper reaches and doing a 330 kit, cam, bigger carb and suspension soon.

After break-in and oil changes, our first trip was to Sand Lakes last weekend. My kids LOVED playing in the big sandbox !!!!!

Have a look
myurl
myurl
myurl
myurl
myurl

Old 06-27-2006, 01:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 300ex power?

I'm not sure that it will work on stock plastics. I have maier racing plastics and it makes it more convient. Pictures are coming soon but my digital camera is broke right now..

Old 06-28-2006, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default 300ex power?

good deal. I'll keep a lookout. Maybe Floorit would like to share with me some 300ex knowledge. Specifically how it tolerated 83 foot jumps and landed softly. I'm looking to do some suspension work next.

Old 06-28-2006, 09:43 PM
Trailblazer
Default 300ex power?

Originally posted by: JimmyHoffa
Maybe Floorit would like to share with me some 300ex knowledge. Specifically how it tolerated 83 foot jumps and landed softly. I'm looking to do some suspension work next.
Well, I have had NO suspension mods at all when I have jumped. The aproach was a gradual climb about 20 feet in length and a height of about 8 feet at the peak. I started at the ramp slowly so I could anticipate the pitch after leaving the ramp. Progressing with more and more speed, I eventually cleared the whole table-top which was 80 feet in length, landing on the downward end. It was a rush....lol.

The wife never liked me doing it cause she was sure I'd crash...LMAO, but it was easy.

The quad performed flawlessly and was almost self-correcting. But when it did go a bit far forward from my weight being in the wrong place, I just gave it gas to gyro the front end up, and stepped on the brake to put the nose down if the take-off was a little high in the front.

Never did have any troubles with with the suspension bottoming out.....well, unless I got too cocky. Then I just cranked down the rear spring to gain more pre-load.

Old 06-29-2006, 10:45 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 300ex power?

So whats your opionon on sprokets for the 300ex. I like to drag mine and want to get some more out of it. although I don't want to spend an arm and a leg to get it there. I have heard that sprokets are the way to go...

Old 06-29-2006, 09:22 PM
Trailblazer
Default 300ex power?

Originally posted by: pimpin300ex
So whats your opionon on sprokets for the 300ex. I like to drag mine and want to get some more out of it. although I don't want to spend an arm and a leg to get it there. I have heard that sprokets are the way to go...

No idea if you are asking me this or ...

But ...if I was using mine for drags, I'd leave the front sprocket stock [14 if I recall right] and go up in the rear. I'd go with a 39 tooth...maybe even a 40. Just remember you need to have atleast the set-up I have to justify going bigger in the back, otherwise you won't get a descent holeshot, but the speed will be there as you'll gain a couple mph.

Old 06-30-2006, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default 300ex power?

First of all, props to Floorit. Second, The stock 300ex front sprocket is a 13. I know because I just bumped to a 14 after getting smaller tires. I think I gained a little bit overall, and now I wind out at a little higher of a top speed. I didn't quite follow Floorit's message, but it seemed to suggest that going bigger in the back would give you higher top speed, when in fact it drops your top speed because of a lower more power-oriented gear ratio. (I think this has something to do with his holeshot comment, not sure)

Old 06-30-2006, 09:05 PM
Trailblazer
Default 300ex power?

Originally posted by: JimmyHoffa
I didn't quite follow Floorit's message, but it seemed to suggest that going bigger in the back would give you higher top speed, when in fact it drops your top speed because of a lower more power-oriented gear ratio. (I think this has something to do with his holeshot comment, not sure)
You know JH......you're right. I fubarred my meaning BIG TIME !!!

I was thinking about holeshot torque for climbing, NOT SPEED. I'm not into the speed end of things, but rather the torque for true All Terraining and Cross Country. I run a stock 13t <----corrected..lol, and a 39t in the back.

Concerning the front sprocket, if yo go bigger than a 14 in the front, you might as well toss the case saver and gamble that the chain never comes off. BUT....if you have a welder capable to weld stainless, a better case saver can be made from 1/8th plate that will bolt right in.

JH...if you use MSN Messenger, oz_100@hotmail.com [no spaces at either end] - add me to your contacts. I wouldn't mind chattin with ya sometime.

Old 07-01-2006, 02:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default 300ex power?

Floorit you SERIOUSLY need AIM. I'm Jimborobopro88. Ill try to mess with MSN. I Had the EXACT problem with the case saver, but I fixed it a crappy way. I took and angle grinder and put a bigger radius on the stock saver to clear my 14T, ran it, looked for shiny spots where the chain had hit it, and re-ground until the chain didn't favor contacting any specific spot on the saver. I have some pretty in-depth experence with material strength (especially light metals) and I know if my chain goes, it will rip the saver to pieces, even though I did a top-notch grind job. I might try laying beads on the sides of the saver (yea. I have a MIG weder.) and then grinding them down to clear the chain link side plates, gaining me strength through width, not depth-like the stock saver. I'm with Floorit on the front sprocket clearance. There is NO WAY a 15 is fitting up there. I donno if I'd even trust it not to tap my case every once in a while with a perfectly good chain. If you still want more top end after a 14 up front, try dropping down in back. ...Or getting really big tires....

Old 07-01-2006, 05:39 PM
Trailblazer
Default 300ex power?

ok.....never tried AIM, but it's installed and you're added. I'm on the coast of Washington State [Pacific Time] now all we have to do is catch each other online...lol.......yeah right !!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: 300ex power?