Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

06 450r hrc kit installed and now wont idle????Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006 | 01:54 AM
Range Rover
Default 06 450r hrc kit installed and now wont idle????Help

so by about six max, what would be the difference in a drag race between a stock quad and the hrc kit installed?
a bike length or more maybe. the reason i am asking is that i hear that a lot of people are doing it but i hear of problems to, like replacing pistons, and that should not happen with a four stroke.

Old 06-23-2006 | 11:52 AM
Pro Rider

I would say in a 200 yds drag it would put you about 4 to 8 quad lengths ahead of where you were when you were stock. When you add more power to your quad you are going to have to check the valves more often and replace the piston and rings. Mine is modded about five or so more horse than the HRC kit. I will check the valves on mine a couple times a year and replace the piston, rings, and valves every winter. Ofcoarse, it all depends on how much and how hard you ride. Also, how clean you keep your oil and air filter is another huge factor. The extra power I have from stock is well worth it for me.

Old 06-23-2006 | 01:02 PM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!

Chenoweth122, If you dont add the HRC then atleast do like I did and open up the airbox lid to match the 05 HRC lid by cutting out a hole or take it off all together. I chose to cut out the hole and slip over the hole an old pair of pantie hose to act as a pre filter.next Replace the stock main jet(120) with a 170 and while your in there replace the pilot with a 45. Add a slip on exhaust and you:ll be surprized at the difference it makes. It sure sounds better if nothing else. Dunefool likes the stock filter but I like the Proflow design with the K&N system. It really breathes better, you can actually hear the difference.Remember these quads come from the factory all corked up to meet EPA standards. It's up to you to uncork it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-26-2006 | 01:29 AM
Range Rover

dunefool, what is the estimated cost of replacing the piston and rings on your quad? and i was looking at my manual for the stock jetting and things like that and none of that is in there. i want to beaf the quad up, and ride more at the dunes. how many hours would you say that you put on the quad between each top end change? the quad is so different from owning and working on a motorcycle for so many years.

camokodiak,
i have not opened the carb yet but i assume that the main jet and the pilot jet are the same as a bike. i live at about 3500 ft. what jet would you recomend for that elevation? i assume that i am jetted for sea level brand new. but what is the jetting rule for elevation? how big is the gap before you change jets again.

Old 06-26-2006 | 02:39 AM
Pro Rider

Cost of parts will be about $180 to do a top end on mine. I will probably have about a 100 hours or so on mine when I change out the top end. I am running a 13.5 to 1 JE piston and a more aggresive cam on mine. If yours is an '06 and it is stock then I would start out with a good aftermarket full exhaust and a cam. It will wake it up big time. If your going down to the Oregon Dunes then go light on the throttle when the noise police are near by or they will write you up for a hefty ticket. I have had good luck staying away from them so far. Good luck.

Old 06-26-2006 | 07:51 PM
Range Rover

wow that is pretty cheap for a top end. i was talking to my local honda dealer and they said that a piston and rings would be the range of about $700. but he said that about 100 hours is typical. i think that i will start with a exhaust first because stock sounds wimpy. i appreciate youre advice dunefool, if you have any other thoughts or suggestions, my e-mail is brandenc@bendbroadband.com