Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

250R Is Running Awful :( PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 04:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 250R Is Running Awful :( PLEASE HELP

Hi, I just rebuild my 250r with a brand new piston, rebored cylinder, cranks bearings and some tranny gears.

I also had my head shaved and my cylinder midly ported.

Breaking it in at 32:1 Amsoil Dominator (Damn it's rich :eek2: )

The quad is running AWFUL, in fact, a lot slower than when it got dissambled. The engine was rebuilt professionnally so it's out of the question.

So there is 2 choices left...it's either a electrical problem or carburetion problem.

Here are my mods and carbs adjustements on the stock carb:

1988 TRX250R
.050 Over Wiseco Piston
FMF Pipe
Mild Porting
Shaved Head
Boyesen Reed Valves

175 Main Jet
58 Pilot Jet
3rd position clip on needle
2 turns out on airscrew (IIRC)

The quad just bogs and cut on top end. Strangely, IF I go WOT on neutral, It will rev to the moon (A lot faster and a little higher than before btw [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]evil[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

It just don't seems to run good while in gear...Whatever Main jet I use, It will only make it worse or stay the same. It just won't rev high in speed. On top of that there is hesitation at 1/4 throttle like it's bogging (Probably the needle adjustement though, it was there before the rebuild).

Here are what I think it could be, just add what you think...

- Incorrect Float Level (Could explain that whatever I do, It won't rev high)
- Faulty electrical system component (Coil, CDI box)
- Completely off carb adjustements

I know you can't jet a carb online, but I'm just giving you an idea of the setup I'm running. I'm really depressed since I've just put a lot of cash in my engine and it's running a lot worse than when I tore it apart. (In fact it was running good even if the main bearings were going out and the compression wasn't that high)

THE WORST PART OF THE DAY WAS WHEN I WAS GOING TO MEET SOME FRIENDS IN THE FIELD ROLLING IN 2ND SPEED SLOWLY THE STREETS TO GO MEET THEM AND I MET SOME POLICE. OFFICER HERE ARE REAL FU**** SO IT WAS BETTER TO TURN AROUND. SO I TURN AROUND STILL GOING SLOWLY AND THE QUAD STARTS TO BOG TO DEATH AND NOT HAVING ANY POWER ANYMORE. I TRY TO ENTER THE FIELD BUT THERE IS A FENCE AND I'M STUCK [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Consequences:

Offense number 1: 135$
Offense number 2: 290$

That was an hard day... and just to let you know, my only option was to escape, otherwise they would have given me the tickets anyway:scary:

Old 06-13-2006, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

Help!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 06-13-2006, 01:21 AM
HR
Range Rover

what does the plug look like? sounds like it running out of air or to much fuel. to me. my banshee used to do this and it was found to be a little dirty air filter. after a new and/or cleaned one it was all *****..

maybe keep a plug wrench with you and when it starts to bog shut it down and pull it to see if it's ok lean or rich.. just right? maybe need a new one... maybe the higher compression you need to close the gap some.?...

maybe the little filter thing in your tank is getting cloged and when you need all the gas it can't flow enough so it empties the bowl and when you R's come down the flow rate will fill it back up.

just some thoughts....

HR

Old 06-13-2006, 07:34 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: HR
what does the plug look like? sounds like it running out of air or to much fuel. to me. my banshee used to do this and it was found to be a little dirty air filter. after a new and/or cleaned one it was all *****..

maybe keep a plug wrench with you and when it starts to bog shut it down and pull it to see if it's ok lean or rich.. just right? maybe need a new one... maybe the higher compression you need to close the gap some.?...

maybe the little filter thing in your tank is getting cloged and when you need all the gas it can't flow enough so it empties the bowl and when you R's come down the flow rate will fill it back up.

just some thoughts....

HR
Thanks for the ideas

Pretty figured out on another forum that I'm just fouling all my plugs being too rich. I'll check tonight after job and let you know. Could be the tank thing you said though ...

Thanks [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]