Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

little drag ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 06:26 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default little drag ?

a kid i know just got an 06 400ex after having an 01 for quite a while. his is stock as of right now but he might be putting his yoshi rs3 on it. im getting a 03 pretty soon thats stock and im wondering who would win in a race stock for stock. i plan on getting a pipe probably a yosh rs3 or a lrd full system and i plan on getting a rev box along with filter and jet kit. if i have the pipe, jet kit, filter, and rev box and he just has a pipe will i win in a drag because i heard that a rev box will actually slow me down going through the gears but ill have more topend. if i can only win in the long run ill make it a long race. its really been bothering me so any help would be great. or if you have any suggestions for mods or anything im open to discuss them

thanks alot

alex

Old 06-13-2006, 07:36 PM
The Facility
Default little drag ?

Stock for stock, It will be a close one, but he still should get you just by a little.
The 06 has a bigger carb and wider gear ratios than the 03 has.
To cheat a bit, if both of you are running stock tires, just add a few more pounds to the rear of yours to compensate for his taller gearing, and you might edge him out.

Regarding the mods you listed, you should have the upper hand easily. But it still isn't going to be a runaway.

Old 06-13-2006, 08:31 PM
Trailblazer
Default little drag ?

i thought the 06's had closer gear ratio's to make them quicker or is that what the carb did to keep its tourque for the taller gearing? and would the rev box make me quicker along with a little more top end due to the higher rev limit or would it slow me down cause it takes longer to get going? thats another thing confusing me alot thanks alot knows alot...that kinda ryhmed lol thanks again

alex

Old 06-13-2006, 08:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default little drag ?

You should take out that 400ex quite easily. The Predator is about as fast as a Raptor. A 400ex will not run with either one of them.

Old 06-13-2006, 09:24 PM
The Facility
Default little drag ?

06 models have tighter ratios in 2nd and 3rd to fix the sluggish gap that affected older models. 4th gear is geared taller. 1st and 5th are still the same as the older versions.

The bigger carb came in 2004 so it had nothing to do with compensating for the gearing.

The revbox isnt going to slow you down unless you are shifting late in 2nd through 4th gears. You want to shift when the power is at peak...which is below even the stock revboxes redline. You will need the revobx to beat your bud on the topend either way. Get the box.

Old 06-14-2006, 08:54 PM
Trailblazer
Default little drag ?

alright thanks alot knowsalot. enforcer why are we talking about rappy's and preddy's? haha ... so if i short shift 2nd through 4th i should be ok? and what rev box would you recomend. i was looking at the white brothers and the rev max cause they are the cheapest ive seen. i think im gonna save my money up my birthday is in a few days and i still havnt gotten my ex yet but i think my parents will get it for me on my birthday and i should be getting birthday money so ill probably end up with a rs3, renthal's ( i hate having stock bars ) k and n air filter and a dyno jet kit along with which ever rev limiter ill get. thanks alot for your help guys.

alex

Old 06-14-2006, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default little drag ?

Sorry dude. Got ya confused with another thread. I must have taken one to many hits off the bong when I read that. My bad!!!!

Old 06-15-2006, 01:53 AM
Trailblazer
Default little drag ?

haha its all good enforcer not a problem....i kinda know how that goes.............................................. ...................the getting confused part not the bong hits hahaha[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] but what would be a better rev box the rev max or the white bros. now im really like the lrd full systems so i guess im open to discussion about exhaust and intake set ups any advice would be greatly appreciated....i might be getting my ex this weekend which is what i really need so i can do stuff to it and leave it cause this trying to decide between pipes is driving me god damn crazy. thanks alot for your help

alex