Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

GOT 416?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2000, 03:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok.... call me a moron, but i just need a little more info on boring, porting, etc.

When you bore your cylinder, do you have to bore your head to match it? because wouldn't there be an edge around the circumferance if you didn't widen your head also???

next dumb question, the black stuff was from the 10w 40, what a mess. I switched awhile ago, and now it should be better. But when i was cleaning out the black stuff, i may have taken the "exact, sharp" edge off of the head, is this bad? could the explosion be forced out through the gasket because of this? It's not like a crack or divit, just a smother edge..(i am always a bit worried when it comes to engines)

Also, a 416 is a .20 overbore right? Cuz i've been told that an .80 was a 416, and a .20 was too.

Last question, does the Piston come with rings and gaskets? or do i have to buy the gasket kit separate. Because i've seen both kits.

well, since i haev this thing apart, i am definatly gonna get something out of it. And what a perfect time, Christmas

sorry to bother you again, but you seem to be the most informed, and correct about this stuff. later man, thx

Old 11-29-2000, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider

ok.... call me a moron, but i just need a little more info on boring, porting, etc.
When you bore your cylinder, do you have to bore your head to match it? because wouldn't there be an edge around the circumferance if you didn't widen your head also???

Short answer, no...

next dumb question, the black stuff was from the 10w 40, what a mess. I switched awhile ago, and now it should be better. But when i was cleaning out the black stuff, i may have taken the "exact, sharp" edge off of the head, is this bad? could the explosion be forced out through the gasket because of this? It's not like a crack or divit, just a smother edge..(i am always a bit worried when it comes to engines)

Depends... Hard to say without seeing it... I would show it to whoever ends up doing your machine work. Great care must be taken when scraping gaskets (or whatever) off of aluminum.

Also, a 416 is a .20 overbore right? Cuz i've been told that an .80 was a 416, and a .20 was too.

The "416" is a .080" overbore, or 2mm over, depending on which unit of measure you are using.

Last question, does the Piston come with rings and gaskets? or do i have to buy the gasket kit separate. Because i've seen both kits

When you get a piston from JE, it will come with the piston, rings, wrist pin, and clips. The gasket kit is separate.

Old 11-29-2000, 08:56 PM
Range Rover

well answer my first questions.....ive heard a 416 will run a 440 down and run even drag with banshees very competative.....how would i stack up with these high sport quads?

Old 11-30-2000, 03:10 AM
Pro Rider

I haven't done much drag racing, not my thing.

But...

Right after I built it I went to the sand dunes, keep in mind I run the stock exhaust...

I run Dune Sliders which aren't very agressive, but work great and slide great in the trails. The few drag races that I did run went as follows, also keeping in mind that I didn't ever get any good holeshots due to the tirespin of the Dune Sliders (most of the people racing were using Haulers or Sand Skate II's which are much more agressive):

416 vs Raptor: The Raptor came out of the hole faster, pulled about 1.5 bike lengths right at first, after that he never really gained on me. He wheelied up once on the holeshot and I got a slight edge and began to pull away, he promptly pulled the throttle and turned around.

416 vs piped DS650 - essentially the same as the Raptor.

416 vs piped 440 - the 440 pulled the holeshot, I was able to chase it down on top.

416 vs stock and piped 400 - I pulled them fairly strongly thru the mid and top.

416 vs hopped up 440 w/ race cam and exh - he pulled the holeshot and continued to inch away thru the top.

416 vs Scrambler 400 - no contest, the Scrambler was a little slower than a stock 400EX.

416 vs modified Banshees (stock ones do not exist in the sand) - Banshee's typically ran away (these were heavily built machines), didn't pay very close attention to them, as I was trying to race other 4 strokes. I'm sure there were a few there that I beat, but again, wasn't paying attention & there was a large group of us racing at each dropping of the "flag".

Sand dragging is heavily dependant on many factors, I wouldn't mind running a few different bikes on dirt.

Old 11-30-2000, 07:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

sounds good.

One more question. Do i have to buy special gaskets?? or can i get stock ones. Will i have to cut the stock ones??

also, before, did you say that "no the piston will not hit the edge that is left" or no "you don't have to get it bored"? What about a domed piston??

thx

Old 11-30-2000, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider

I used stock Honda gaskets, if you go much larger on the bore, you need to look into a oversize head gasket.

Domed pistons are built with the stock head in mind, also we are not changing the bore diameter by a huge amount, so it's not like you are going to have massive overhang, the difference with the 416 piston is only 1mm on each side of the piston.

Old 11-30-2000, 04:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

alright i see. I am ordering the piston tonight, and maybe the gaskets, Hopefully i'll have everything together by christmas, thx, later

Old 11-30-2000, 05:33 PM
Pro Rider

Does anyone know where to get JE pistons for less than what White Bros. sells them for? Last year I got a 85mm Wiesco piston for $87 but W.B. wants $132 for the 87mm JE piston! I suppose that their price could include the gaskets but I don't think it does.

Old 11-30-2000, 06:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

piston has been ordered, but i have to wait till monday for it to come in. So what are your suggestions on cams??? You said the GT thunder cam or something?? how do you like your XR400 cam? should i just go with that? how are these cams classified? Mild? hot? wild? and with the Gt cam, will it EVENTUALLY, Over time, wear anything out? because i am shooting for as much reliability as possible here

Old 11-30-2000, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

The XR cam is kinda between the stock and the GThunder cam.... I will know better how the GT cam performs at a later date, as we have one, but have not yet installed it in my friend's bike (long story). It seems to have much more duration at max lift than either stock or an XR...

The XR cam works well, it pulls stronger thru the mid and top with the other mods I have made.

I have been told that the GThunder cam is about as wild as you want to get without hardfacing rockers and such for the long term. I'll probably be able to give a much better account of how the 2 cams compare in about a month.