Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Suddenly NO compression !!! any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 09:43 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suddenly NO compression !!! any ideas?

How exactly are you checking the compression? Using a gauge, and wot?

Old 07-05-2006, 03:49 AM
Pro Rider

Is it possible that the starter is spinning, but not engaging the engine??? (and seeming like there is no compression)

Old 07-05-2006, 03:58 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 07-05-2006, 04:21 AM
Pro Rider

If the starter wasn't engauging you could tell the difference by sound, if the starter isn't engauging it would sound like a car does when the bendix isn't kicking in the starter gear to the flywheel teeth !..........williebee

Old 07-05-2006, 04:26 AM
Pro Rider

But like chuby said about the valve seat coming losse is a possibilty for sure ! ........williebee

Old 07-05-2006, 12:12 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Williebee
chuby you my be right about the valve seat idea ,you're aso right abou the Honda 350's not having push rod's the 86' TRX 350 4x4 i have has Hydrolic lifter's no push rod's the valve's are actuated by way of the overhead camshaft lobes not push rod's as are the 2004 model Rancher my brother own's i'v done the valve adjustment's on all the ATV's we've owned so i know the differance between them all to be the same on the engine's on both quad's ! I can remove the sparkplug from a lawn mower stick my finger in plug hole an tell if there isn't any compression at all, and lawn mower engine's have push rod's to open and close the valves, not like Hydrolic lifter's unless it's has a Hydrolic overhead valve engine ! on all the Honda TRX 350 Hydrolic overhead vale engine's on these quad's ! before anyone jump's on my case about this i know this isn't the way to go on compression tect's i'm just saying if there's 0 compression you want feel any pressure even with your finger stuck in the plug hole! And with over 20 + years in the bussiness of small engine repair from service,tune - up and major overhaul i do know a little bit when it come's to any small engine. Even overhead hydrolic valve engine's. motorcycles like honda's from the CB 450cc double overhead cam to the Honda Goldwing 1100cc 4 cylinder's ! And i called the local Honda dealer the last time i adjusted the valves on my 86' TRX350 forman 4WD 4x4 witch has no push rod's but Hydrolic overhead valve's. and my brother's 2004 Honda Rancher 350 fulltime 4WD the Honda Dealer said valve spec.'s were 0.03 intake and 0.04 inch on the 86' and 2004 Honda Rancher 350's are the same. I also Called My local Arctic Cat Daeler and they work on all make quads, they told me my old 86' foreman TRX 350 and the 2004 Honda 350 Rancher are 0.03 intake 0.04 exhaust they're both maual shift tranny's ! I asked about setting them both at 6 and was told on the 350'Honda's were 0.03 inch Intake an 0.04 inch Exhaust we're talking 350's here On the Honda's with Hydrolic valve Lifter's working off the the cam lobes; they told me some of the smaller and larger engine's had a larger gap setting on them ! I asked a bout a 96' Yamaha 350 Wolverine Full time 4WD my brother also own's and was told valve spec.'s for it is 0.04 Inch Intake and 0.06 Exhaust and a 93' Suzuki King Quad 300 4WD that i own are the same as the Honda's 0.03 Intake and 0.04 Exhaust and both the Yamaha and the Suzuki are Manual Shift Tranny's ! I've adjusted the valves on all these ATV's myself and they run as good as new evry since the first valve adjustment's and the last adjustment's i did on them last month with the same result's still running like new ! ........................williebee
Im not jumping on ayones case here, im just trying to help.

Oh ya, the clearance youve got written here is a factor of 10 off. The clearance is .004", and not .04".

Unless you check the compression with a gauge, and at wot, you really dont know what you have.

Try pulling over the motor with the rope, and that will eliminate the starter.

You could also try to push it in 3rd gear, by yourself and ...if you truly dont have compression, itll be a piece of cake.

Old 07-05-2006, 01:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Old 07-05-2006, 02:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

NOcomp means hold your finger in spk hole NOTHING pull rope spins eng ezy starter spins it ezy-----ZIP COMP air escapes thru spark hole when when spinning eng, piston is moving, can hold finger in hole spins same.....ezy ARGGGG

Old 07-05-2006, 03:42 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Sweathog
NOcomp means hold your finger in spk hole NOTHING pull rope spins eng ezy starter spins it ezy-----ZIP COMP air escapes thru spark hole when when spinning eng, piston is moving, can hold finger in hole spins same.....ezy ARGGGG
Sounds like you got anger management issues....and your quads gonna need the head removed...good luck

Old 07-05-2006, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider

Ok I know now that the specs they are giving you for your Rancher are wrong, push rod honda ATV.s 350 rancher, .006" on both same with the 400 (1995-2000), 450's. Honda rubicon, 006 on intake and .009 on exhaust. Rincon .006 intake and .013 exhaust. If any of those dealers can bring you a service manual and show you otherwise in the specs, (which are in the front of the manual) that these hace .003 intake and .004 exhaust, I'll eat my HAT. Only old over head cam motor run tighter valve clearance. Service writers have no business tellen any specs with out book in hand and showing you.

Quick Reply: Suddenly NO compression !!! any ideas?