Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Completely Confused. Need help Selecting ATV!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006 | 11:39 PM
Pro Rider
Default Completely Confused. Need help Selecting ATV!

Originally posted by: alexallen
Well with all the help from you guys, I think I might be close! I can get a 2005 450R Kick Start for 300 more dollars than the 2005 400EX. Is it worth it or should I stick with the Electric Start 2005 400EX? The dealer also told me that the 2005 400ex has reverse but I don't think it does. Any thought? Thanks.
The 05 EX does have reverse. The R does not have reverse but it does have a grab bar and a light rear end. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

For $300 more the R is definitely worth it! All the work you would need to do to get a 400EX to run like a 450R would cost you thousands.

Old 07-05-2006 | 11:54 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Will it be about the same maintaince wise for the 450r compared to the 400ex? I will be doing trail riding and open field riding but no racing should this have an affect on my decision? I kinda figure for only 300 bucks its really kinda silly to go with the 400ex. But then the dealer told me that having a kickstart on trails is a pain and having the reverse on the 400ex is a lot better. I just don't think I will need reverse all that much and for $300 I will be getting a whole lot better machine. To add even more confusion, there is a 2006 z400 for $200 more than the 2005 400ex.

I am also worried because I read some where that the 450R had to be rebuilt after 100 hours or so. Being new to this sport, what does that entail? Is this something the dealer can do? I would not be able to do anything more than change the oil.
Anyway, sorry for all the novice questions, but you guys seem too knowledgeable to pass up asking them to. Thanks again.

Old 07-06-2006 | 12:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Strictly my opinion here, reverse is not a necessity. It is a nice convenience but not needed. As far as maintenance goes, the 450R definately needs more. You will need to change the oil on that puppy pretty often, maybe every couple of rides, depending on how hard and long you go. It is optimized for 2 different kinds of oil, one for the motor, one for the tranny, but doesn't keep a lot in reserve, so the oil gets trashed faster. Plus, it is a much higher performance engine, and will need to have valve tolerances checked and pistons replaced more often than the 400. Only you can decide if you can live with that. The 450R kicks pretty easy, and once you get used to the procedure it will be even better. I went with an e-start quad because I was tired of kicking, but then again I wasn't riding a 450R previously either. Yes, the '06 had many changes to it, including a "new form the ground up" motor. No biggie though, the old motor had a great powerband for trail riding, and was fairly reliable also. If you were buying it to race as is, I might look elsewhere, but for a trail rider it will be fine. Same thing with the other changes, Honda did rework the chassis and so on. The overall package is better, but the '05 is still a force to be reckoned with. Also, rumor has it the '05 has better shocks for trailriding, the '06 is much stiffer. Heck, I would still take the 400EX, but for another $300, you gotta go 450R unless you want to ride it for 10 years without ever tearing into the motor.

Old 07-06-2006 | 12:45 AM
Range Rover

Sport Quads are the way to go,,,, have you ever had an 800lb monster roll over on you.... I have and its a lot easier on your body when a 350lb 400ex rolls over on you then a 800lb 4x4 monster.... Plus unless you want to tow something , carry heavy loads, or drive through a swamp stick with a sport quad....On top of that unless you are really gettin in to some tuff mud a 400ex can hold its own, I have had my old 300ex up to the fenders in mud and water and it trucks rigth along... YEAH GO Sport QUADS, only FAT OLD MEN and LITTLE GIRLS WHO CANT FIGURE OUT A CLUTCH RIDE UTILIY QUADS...

GO HONDA...

GO TRX 450r...

GO SPORT QUADS....

Old 07-06-2006 | 12:49 AM
Pro Rider

A 250ex is too small? How much do you eat? Didn't you say you were 13? Check it out.... Get the 250, it's easier to manipulate and won't crush your guts out when you roll like the bigbores, learn to ride better then upgrade. You will be happier in the end. My boy started on a 250ex and now has a 660r. I just watched him ride the 250ex at Little Sahara, Ut and man the things he was doin with that bike, I didn't think could be done... Stay within your size and ability, it'll pay later.

Old 07-06-2006 | 12:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Originally posted by: zettler450r

GO HONDA...

GO TRX 450r...

GO SPORT QUADS....
LOL, can I nominate you for official Honda Cheerleader?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 07-06-2006 | 01:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

He is 19, no reason he couldn't handle a full size quad.

Old 07-06-2006 | 08:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

YEAH GO Sport QUADS, only FAT OLD MEN and LITTLE GIRLS WHO CANT FIGURE OUT A CLUTCH RIDE UTILIY QUADS...

You would sound like a little girl when i hooked my ute up to your quad pulled you around sacreaming like a little bi**

Old 07-06-2006 | 01:42 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Originally posted by: reconranger
v2rider-What's with you? He doesn't need a work quad anyway, and neither do 98% of the other quad riders in the country, so just get use to it............

And you don't even ride a Honda, so what you doing in the Honda forum anyway?????
Maybe in CA 98% don't need a work quad, but how can a sport ATV haul out a 2000lb moose? (check my picts) or plow a driveway, or haul firewood? In MN and AK where I have lived I could not have gotten by with a sport ATV. That doesn't mean I don't want one though, I would love to have a Scrambler (still 4x4 for me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] ) or a z400.

Also, I own a Honda (and my car is also an Accord) and granted it is older, but my 200 requires more work and maintenance than any Polaris or Arctic Cat's that I have owned. I just got done putting on a new exhaust, the clutch rattels like a church bell chior, chassie has to be lubed with zerks, and it blows oil out like it is a 2-stroke. However, I still love it. Just making a point that all have problems.

Back to this guys post, I suggest he needs a Polairs Trailblazer or Trailboss. Auto, fun to ride, and cheap. If he is only farting around on 10 acres it will be more then enough.

Old 07-06-2006 | 06:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Completely Confused. Need help Selecting ATV!