Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

SOME R ?????s

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2000, 01:18 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after the help of ofyou guys and alot of thinking i am ending up on getting an R.now have a few ??

do they land nice with stock shocks???

what should i look for when buying one??

and what year would you recommend???

ohh yea and what would be the best aftermarket pipe to look for on quad??that would be first upgrade i get...and what would i need to beat dads banshee he has fmfs, boost,k&n,amplink,reeds

Thanks for help I cant live anylonger without feeling the power of an R

Old 11-28-2000, 03:35 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock shocks are ok nut aftermarket is the way to go. I would get an 88-89 r they were the better years. as for a pipe i would go PTR paul turner. check out the bearings in the axle carrier, run though all the gears make sure they shift fine with no hang ups, and cracks in the feame especially around the swing arm piviot bolt.
Good luck these bike are great

Old 11-28-2000, 08:56 AM
Pro Rider

I say go for any year.I have an 86 and it is fine.Check for crack on the frame around.The swingarm pivot bolt,where the rear seat mounts,motor mounts,upper shock mounts,and on the swing arm.The stock shocks are fine but for mx racing don't cut the cake.I have an FMF fatty gold series and my bike runs VERY strong.IT is also ported and polished,boyesen reeds,uni filter,w/o airbox lid,wiseco .020 piston.I have beat a couple piped banshee's.

Old 11-28-2000, 10:11 AM
Range Rover

thanks for the help any other????

Old 11-28-2000, 11:52 AM
Pro Rider

Depending on how the internals of the engine were put together, it's kinda hard for a basically stock R to beat a piped Banshee in a drag race. You have to get the Banshee by out handling it.
Get any year of R, they're all great machines and parts from one year fit another with few exceptions.
I run the FMF Fatty with an FMF silencer, K&N with outerwear, lots of holes in the air box, stock carb, basically stock internals on the motor (it is bored out quite a bit). I run 13/39 gears, pump gas mixed 50:1 with Golden Spectro and I can climb anything at Glamis. I can sometimes beat a stock Banshee in a drag race/hill climb but I gotta really be in the mood to race (since I'm such a lousy racer I usually lose). I prefer to just ride and have a helluva good time.
If you want dependability, keep the internals of the motor mostly stock. Stock reeds are even very good as they are made of stainless and will last forever. Stock carbs work very well also even with a few mods on the outside.
If you do a lot of jumping, go for aftermarket shocks.

Old 11-28-2000, 08:24 PM
Range Rover

I would get an 86 because unless you can bore it out more with the stock cylinder. Some things to look for were already said cracks in the frame and swingarm, bent A arms if your picky about brakes you might want to look at them too. My cousin bought one and the idiot put the brakes together wrong. You also might want to invest in a Clymer manual to make any future problems easier to fix (like there are many to fix).

Old 11-30-2000, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

I love my R. Look for tha stuff in the previous posts. and yes aftermarket shocks are far better. The stockers cant MX. also look at the spark timing. If its good the stator is good.

Old 12-01-2000, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider

Go with any year but I truley love the looks of the Red 88-89 rs with the way the headlights are.As for pipes go with the paul turner triple crome pipe with the fat boy silenser.Its more money than the fmf pipe but the crome is 100% better then the fmf and always shines to a mirror finish unlike the fmf.Well worth the extra money.I had the midrange pipe on my r and its perfect for the trails.Hope this helps out. Tim

Old 12-01-2000, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider

I for one highly recommend the LRD Team B pipe, you can adjust it to fit your riding style, and the power is great. I had a PT Race 89 pipe prior to this, and the LRD smokes it in every aspect.