Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Electrical problem 250EX not charging Battery

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 04:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical problem 250EX not charging Battery

Hey guys, I have a 250ex 2003 that I bought used, it was a real piece of $%#@, but now it is really like new again, I put about $800 into a $500 fourwheeler. I took it out for the first time and it runs great, however it doesnt seem to charge the battery. Now my battery is new and charged, when I left my house. Got to the trails and rode for 10 miles or so when I shut it off to break, it wouldnt restart with the electric. Luckily I put a pull start from a Recon 250 on it. But now I would like to fix this, I get low voltage to everything like the battery, lights, but it runs fine as if it is just something going to the battery system, not the coil system. My voltage at the battery with it running started today at 11 volts, and after running for a little it went to 8 volts as if it is draining the battery. Will this ATV run if the Batt goes dead? And anyone ever have this problem?

Old 07-17-2006, 04:54 PM
Elite Pro Rider

When you checked the voltage with it running, was the engine spinning at 4000 rpm or faster? If you see better than 14 volts , the charging system is good.
Hows the connections at the battery...clean contact points and tight?

Old 07-19-2006, 04:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Electrical and charging systems aren't really my speciallty, If you have less voltage at the battery after riding it sounds as if you aren't providing enough amps to charge your batt.

That isn't really why I'm writting though. I need some measurements off of your a arms, I have a knock off and I'm looking to replace my front end but everything is ordered by year and model. Honda changed their model in 2006 so I can't just go down to honda and see if it will fit. If you have time and if you're willing to pull a tape for about five minutes it would help me out a lot. Thanks and look forward to hearing ffrom you.

Old 07-19-2006, 05:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would surely measure my A arms for you, but I need to know what exact measurements you need. If I am not mistaken you have a knock off of a 250ex like a Chinese made quad? I had a Yumbo Dakar, it is a knock off of like a honda XL or Suzuki DRZ dual sport bike, it looked nice but to ride it regularlly it wouldnt last you could just tell, and I couldnt imagine taking it off road OMG it really really really wouldnt of lasted, it did get incredible gas mileage though. I sold it for a big time loss, but I learned right? Hey and do you need an Aarm, I have an upper right side arm as you are lookin at it from the front, I would sell it for like $5 plus shipping, I listed it on ebay numerous times with no sale. I bought two as a set, and only needed the left, it is used but in good straight shape, it includes the ball joint, and I have it handy so let me know exactly what measurements you need and if you want it or not. I bought my 250EX used and really beat up, I restored it, and I am not very abusive on my vehicles, so I dont think I will need another Aarm.

Old 07-20-2006, 05:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

You have it exacly right, I have a china knock off that is marketed under the name of roketa. So far my biggest problem has been metal issues, not only is their metal not up to the standards of ours but they also used thin wall pipes. I actually have some pics of me on an atv track about 6' in the air but it just isn't holding up. As far as the measurement go they are fairly simple, I need to know the lenght of the a arm, from the furtest point of the ball joint to the furthest point of the bushings green line. I need to know the with of the bushing area, red lines. I need the outside to outside of bushing area, blue lines and the last measurement i need is the amount of the drop measure frame to ground and measure botttom of ball joint to ground than minus that from the frame measurement or just give me both. well disregard the color line info, I tried to attach a pic but i can't figure out how to do so.

Whould you believe you are about the tenth person I have asked and you are the first who is willing to even pull out a tape. I'm shocked, I try to help people all the time. Speaking of which, any luck with your electrical problems? I know when I putt a batt in mine they were concerned that my bike wouldn't charge the battery, I keep it on a batt. tender and so far I have had no problems with starting. It had to do with the milliamps being use as to what was being produced. If you are providing enough amps to run everything and it still won't charge than it is in the wiring.