Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

question about the 250trx

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 09:43 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about the 250trx

i have the oppurtunity to buy a 250trx 2000+. i will mainly be using it for joy riding and eventually taking to the woods for deer, hog, and coonhunting(i know it doesn't have racks but i'm pretty resourceful so i figure i can find away around not having the racks...lol). i would like some honest opinions on this bike, both positive and negative. i'm 27 6' 180, if that helps any....not trying to break the sound barrier, get to my eyes in mud, or jump over the san jac river just looking for a good bike to ride around on and eventually get me around the woods and to my deer stand...any and all responses are greatly appreciated...

Old 07-22-2006, 10:36 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my friend bought the same bike for the same reason actually and regretted it. for scouting deer and trailriding the woods, the 250 is small for one, and you have to screw around with a clutch. plus it is a small quad, i am 6 ft 225lb, and i took his for a ride, went up a hill that was fairly steep, but people were taking trucks up it so not that bad. i could not get up it, i would have to go all the way down to 1st gear. bottom line i would consider a utility quad, all my family has them and they love them, you can have a lot of fun, and optional 4 wheel drive. just my opinion. don't spend the monry unless you are sure.

Old 07-23-2006, 05:13 PM
Trailblazer

thanx for the insight it is appreciated...where i am doesn't have a lot of hills plus later on i plan to get another one and this one might be good for my wife/2 boys(my 2 yr old has a 4wheeler already....the electric yamaha 660 replica from wal-mart). i will definatley take your knowledge to heart...anyone else have any pro's con's....

Old 07-23-2006, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider

I would have to agree. For your size and what you plan to do, this machine is not for you. It is really designed at younger riders who just want to do a little joyriding.

Old 07-30-2006, 12:00 AM
Trailblazer

update....took my atv to general sam's(huntsville, tx). first, that place is extremely nice. the consession stand owners had about a 30min conversation with us and the owners were just as cordial. second, for it to have rained so much the past couple of days the trails were pretty dry. it was a day were you could get as muddy as you wanted or minimize the amount of mud you got on you. corndwg01(from atv texas forum) was my running mate(polaris 400 4x4) and we had a great time. we both really enjoyed ourselves. every where he went i was able to go, there was only one spot where i needed a 4x4. that was human error not lack of machine capabilities(wasn't looking and turned into a deep rut, had i been paying attention i wouldn't have gotten stuck).

to all those that knocked the 250 it is a great bike. it gave me the exact power that i want and i'm able to manuever it the way i want as well. there were a couple of times it would have been cool to have some more pep, but i can do an exhaust system and jet it and i will get what i want. there were a few times where the 400 created some space but i was cool with that(you don't want to follow to close behind someone anyway and we weren't racing either). my bike stood tall, i took a couple of jumps, went through some decently deep mud, hit some nice corners, and climbed some fairly steep hills(some i tackled with no problem, a couple of others i had down shift and work my throttle...trying to keep the front end down). taking the steep hills did require my riding partner to wait just a tad for me to tackle it, but watching someone work a wheeler is fun so it really isn't that bad.

so all in all i had a great time...i'll be back on sept 17th for sure hopefully i can get away to out there again sometime inbetween now and then....my next trek will either be to crosby or new caney.

Old 08-06-2006, 07:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have a 2001 trx 250. And i think it is a great bike. ive had it up to the gas tank in water and it still going. it always takes we where i need to go. one problem i have had with it is how low it sits to the ground. i know if you have your mind sets on a bike its hard to change your mind, but my sister has recon 250 and its just as good as the trx except it has racks on it.