Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

91 honda 250x help

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006 | 12:08 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default 91 honda 250x help

hi i have a 250x bored 30 over and stroked , guy i got it from said he was riding it and it shut off . checked the carb. its workin it wants to start but it wont someone told me maybe its the timing , maybe it was off but i dunno. can you hep?

, Jason

Old 07-26-2006 | 01:02 AM
vd
Weekend Warrior

try to put new gas in it and a new plug and pop the clutch going down hill.

If you want to check the timing you have to take the valve cover off the top of the engine
take out the two bolts on the stator cover (on the opposite side of the tranny cover)

get the cam sprocket on top of the engine at top dead center which on the cam sprocket you will see three lines at noon, 9 o clock, and 3 o clock if there not there get them there by turning the engine with a 17 millimeter socket at the stator cover through the bottom opening.

then look through the top opening you should see the top dead center mark it is a plain T
if it s not showing you are out of time once you get past the f mark with the engine turning towards the exhaust
You must be between the t and the f mark. hope this helps.

Old 09-20-2006 | 05:41 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

i took my 250x to the polairs shop cause we have no honda shop anywhere close by and i was gonna let them look at it and fix it but they told me after they "said" they looked into it , they told me the time had jump and sent the piston up into the value and the atv wasnt any good anymore and that if i even wanted to have it fixed that it would cost me $1,800 to fix it , now is this true you reckon or are they trying to shoot me bull and get me to buy a polairs , ?????????

Old 09-20-2006 | 11:52 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!

1800 bucks !!!!! RIPOFF !!!, you could buy a new motor for less, they are completely trying to hose you, if the motor turns over, then it is very unlikely the valve damaged the piston, it would most likely keep hitting, you can check quickly by checking compression, if it is very low, then a valve or the piston is damaged, at worst the valve guide will need replacing, or a new piston, at most 300 bucks in parts for the top end, and not that much labor to fix it. How they could say the motor was shot,did they at least pulling the head ? Any one with some basic tools could help you look into it yourself and check the motor top end out. Please let us know if you need any help or advice, there are lot of knowledgeable people on these forums, and they are always glad to help out.

Old 09-21-2006 | 01:05 AM
Pro Rider

totally agree - RIPOFF!!

they may have actually tried to fix it but screwed it up due to their evident incompetence. it doesnt really take a genius to pull apart an engine and see what the problem is...

so just how far away is the honda dealer? it will cost some to fix but cant see it costing near that much even from a honda dealer. might be worth the drive. or find you a good engine on ebay or something for a 250x or 300ex (you may need a the proper wiring harness, battery stuff, starter, etc if you went with the latter) just do a search. i came up with these in a couple seconds....theres also more stuff.

this seems like a nice engine (a little $$$$ though):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...QQcmdZViewItem

this guy says he only deals with 250x/300ex stuff and to call if you dont see anything you need. may be worth it. may not.

this seems alright too (and a little cheaper) but i wonder if he stole the quad and is parting it out!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-...QQcmdZViewItem

just some ideas....

Old 09-21-2006 | 04:16 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

ok thanks , see its still turning over normal still has good compression and it really acts like it wants to fire because it will pop a few times when you try to start it (kick start) . if the piston hit the valve like they "said" ,how would i go about lookin at it and seeing if it has damaged or wrong with , and fixing it myself

Old 09-21-2006 | 05:35 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!

First I would do what vd recommended, verify the valve timing is correct, very quick and easy to do,this will eliminate a skipped chain timing problem. Then verify spark by attaching a good plug to the wire, letting it touch the motor, and look for spark when you kick it over, if you have good spark, then remove the carb, give it a complete cleaning, and try again. All these things are quick and easy to do, if you don't feel up to it, I'm sure you have a buddy that can help, or buy a repair manual and dig in !!

Old 09-21-2006 | 09:37 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

i really dont know much about motors , im thinking of just selling it , i have had ALOT of ppl tell me that it isnt nothin much wrong with it , i'll prolly just sell it , its in very very good shape besides that there is nothin else wrong with it , i got it in a trade i had a complete sony car system and the guy that had the 250x wanted to so i traded the car system for it , so if i can find a buyer i'll prolly let it go for what i had in the system , if i can get that , bout $500 like i said its in
VERY good shape new tires everything so if you know anyone who wants itjust let me know... im located in South carolina email: summer_n_jason85@yahoo.com

not sure what im gonna do with it just yet , but thinking more about selling it