Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

how did you learn to pop wheelies?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 04:45 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how did you learn to pop wheelies?

on my 250ex i just give it all the gas and it goes up, my problem is that after i give it that gas it's redlining so i need ot shift gears. do ya'll shift while your wheeling or do you just find a rpm while the wheels are up and sustain it so you can maintain your wheelie?

Old 08-05-2006, 05:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Usually once you get it up anad find the balance point you can let off of the throttle. If it starts to come back down just lean back more or blip the throttle to keep it up. It takes alot of practice. Most quads are made so they wont come over on you. You can stand them straight up and it wont come over. Just practice in a long grass field.

Old 08-05-2006, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider

Exactly what he said. Another thing you can do is a flamingo wheelie, its a lot easier to balance because you have more weight on the back of the quad. Take a look at my pics to see how to do one, its me on the blue banshee in the pic labeled "Wheelies". Let me know how it works for ya. Another advantage to these wheelies is you can put your foot down to keep from twelving it and keep your grab bar in good tact.

Old 08-06-2006, 02:07 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: JLsparky7
Exactly what he said. Another thing you can do is a flamingo wheelie, its a lot easier to balance because you have more weight on the back of the quad. Take a look at my pics to see how to do one, its me on the blue banshee in the pic labeled "Wheelies". Let me know how it works for ya. Another advantage to these wheelies is you can put your foot down to keep from twelving it and keep your grab bar in good tact.
Dude!!!!!
Nice pics!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-06-2006, 12:31 PM
Range Rover

to answer your question about shifting gears in a wheelie, its necessary to pull the really long wheelies.... on my 450r I can wheelie from 1st gear all the way through 5th, its just a ,matter of getting the balance... also I dont clutch it when I am shifting in a wheelie, just power shift it... prob not the best for the quad but it hasnt effected me on any of my quads yet,. try it out, I have a video i should up load of a mile long wheelie only 300ex

Old 08-07-2006, 07:35 AM
Pro Rider

By falling on my rear alot, and having peaple laugh at me, Also buying A few extra grab bar's. Now I can ride A wheelie as long as I want and they don't laugh anymore.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-07-2006, 03:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

I can shift up in to second on my 250ex so far...thats all for now...so with some practice you should be able to too!

Old 08-07-2006, 05:28 PM
Trailblazer

The flamingo wheelie is the best way to learn, as you have a foot off the back to touch the ground with if needed. Also try it with your foot on the rear brake, this is an easy way to make the front nose down. You might also want to start on something kind of slow, the 250ex is great, because you don't have to use the clutch. It doesn't have enough power to scare you either.

Old 08-07-2006, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

buy falling on your @ss a few times [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-08-2006, 09:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

I can get in to third on my 250ex now!!

Quick Reply: how did you learn to pop wheelies?