Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher ES shifting problem and no speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 04:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rancher ES shifting problem and no speedometer

Hi All.....
I have a 2002 Honda Rancher ES and it has shifting problem. If you drive it real slow it works OK but when you drive it normal it will shift to 3 or 4 gear and then the shift buttons will not do any thing no down shift and you cannot shift up no more either. You can cut it off and it will shift back to neutral and it will go again. And since it started this the speedometer does not work either it stays at 0. they are nothing flashing either.
Has any one else had this problem before?
Can any one help me or any ideals where to start looking for the problem.

Thanks
David

Old 08-21-2006, 09:06 PM
Trailblazer

Haven't had this problem but it sounds like a short in the wiring. Look at you wiring system for cracks or loose wires. Connections can get corroded and need cleaning to work properly. Especially if you like to ride in mud, which has a nasty habit of getting everywhere and into everything. Just a thought. Good luck.

Steve

Old 08-21-2006, 10:54 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a speed sensor problem. I think there is a magnet on the driveshaft and a sensor in the housing... I'll thumb through my clymer manual and see what I can find.

I'll be back.

Old 08-21-2006, 11:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks .. I have checked some of the connections but I will go back and check the rest too. Gruzzy...... And thanks for looking on the speed sensor LOANSHARK

David

Old 08-21-2006, 11:53 PM
Range Rover

Okay, the sensor itself is on the left side right in front of the rear driveshaft boot. Its a black peice of plastic with two bolts and wires coming off ... If you follow these wires they should lead to a three pin connector under the <u>right</u> side cover. Remove the reight side cover and check this connection. I use dielectric grease on all the connections. If that connection seems good disconect it and connect the pos. lead of a voltmeter to the black/blue wire terminal. connect the Neg. test lead to the green wire terminal. Have someone turn the ign. switch on, you should have battery voltage. If not check those wires for damage. If you have voltage, the manual mentions a honda specific adapter that needs to be connected... You might check the price of a replacement speed sensor... I'd remove the old one and see if your dealer can test it...

I'd also reccomend a manual as there are some other diagnostics you can do but they get pretty involved.

I'd be very interested in what happens, so please keep us informed.

Old 08-22-2006, 12:11 AM
Trailblazer

Thinking about made me think about older ATV that have seen much mud and many washings. I wonder if checking the connections and using dielectric grease on them might be a good idea. After a few years, mud, water and dust are bound to get into all connections. So it might be a preventative maintenance thing to regrease all connections. But, some old connections might break while being pulled apart. Tough decision.

LOANSHARK, how much was your cylmer? I need to get one of those.

Steve

Old 08-22-2006, 12:20 AM
Range Rover

I can't remember what I paid... I had my local dealer get it for me... I thing it was 20 or 30 bucks.

Old 08-22-2006, 12:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys.. I need one them manuals too. I will let ya'll know if that fixes it but it will be a day or two before I get time to do it this week.

David

Old 08-28-2006, 01:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi Guys. I checked all the wire this weekend and I had had power on the terminal. so I'm pretty sure it the speed sensor. I called around but no one had one and I had to order it.
THANKS for the help,
David

Old 08-28-2006, 02:37 PM
Range Rover

I would be looking for a broken wire before I spent money for that speed sensor.

How much did they charge you for that sensor? I'd also sugest you order a repair manual, if you haven't yet, as there are some indepth diagnostics that could save you time and money while trying to pinpoint your problem.

Quick Reply: Rancher ES shifting problem and no speedometer