Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Please Need help With Recon Buying Decision

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 12:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Need help With Recon Buying Decision

Hello,

I am new to this and have not had a chance to ride one more than a short test ride in the dealers parking lot but I have a question... I am thinking about getting a Recon for slow speed creeping through a heavily forested area. Some rough slow roads, mountainous, but mostly brush and branch littered forest floor with undeveloped pine forest trail.

Is the Recon suited to this slow-speed low-gear stuff? Is the Recon's 1st gear low enough to just creep along tracter style if necessary with good manuverability, picking my way through it?

Or...Would I really miss not having the ultra-low first gear as on the Rancher?

Thanks for the help,
eyekazoo

Old 08-22-2006, 01:59 PM
Trailblazer

Funny, I was in the same position a few months ago. I wanted something I could crawl up and down hills and ride through the woods. I am 6'2" 185lbs. I was thinking I needed a 4wd Rancher. I was lucky because I was able to rent a 2004 Recon and ride the crap out of it before I made my decision. I was so impressed with the Recon, I bought, a 2006 with foot shift. Why? It had plenty of power and could do everything I tried to do with it. The only time I get stuck is when I try to back up a hill. The Recon is smaller than the Rancher. I'm sure you could feel that when you sat on both at the dealer. The Rancher felt too big, like I would be driving a Jeep though the woods. The Recon just felt better to me. I can squeeze through tight trails easily. It is very similar to the 250EX so you can whip it around cut loose when you want. It can do some serious wheelies, if you're into that. I have zero regrets buying my Recon. I really don't think you can go wrong with either Rancher or Recon, so pick the one you feel most comfortable with. Hope this helps!

Old 08-22-2006, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider

i have a recon and when it comes to riding in the woods with no trails, i always have a slightly bettet performance because i can squeaze through trees and the recon has a much larger turning radius than most 4x4 quads, nothing i regret, decided to buy a winch though, comes in handy ALOT

Old 08-22-2006, 04:58 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are absolutely never going to need 4wd, then the Recon should be fine. I am no big fan of utilities......I find them all (including my relatively light mid size Rancher), to be to large and clumsy to be great fun where I ride. The little Recon on the other hand handles everything very well, except occasionally where 4wd is required. It doesn't have the very low granny gear 1st that the Rancher has, but it is plenty low for slow, technical riding.

Old 08-22-2006, 04:58 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: tymann09
i have a recon and when it comes to riding in the woods with no trails, i always have a slightly bettet performance because i can squeaze through trees and the recon has a much larger turning radius than most 4x4 quads, nothing i regret, decided to buy a winch though, comes in handy ALOT

You meant to say much TIGHTER turning radius, I'm sure [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-22-2006, 05:55 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I was a smaller guy I'd consider a recon. My ranchers are both two wheel drive, there are very few places I can't go. It takes some deep mud to get it stuck. There's always a way around the mud.

Old 08-22-2006, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider

PaulH- thanks for correcting me

Old 08-23-2006, 01:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all your opinions...

I also thought the Rancher size was getting up there and felt it would be like riding a jeep through the woods especially since I am 5' 3" 148lbs. I have a Toyota Land Cruiser for that.

Based on your thoughts I will definately go with the Recon...Besides it looks really well built.

Thanks again
eyekazoo

Old 08-23-2006, 11:31 PM
Trailblazer

we own 3 recons 2 2005s and a 2004, i have not found any place they wont go, if you dont need 4wd then the recon is a good way to go,

Old 08-24-2006, 08:38 AM
Trailblazer

Hey there,
I agree with you all...I've got a recon and it's plenty. Small and nimble, but very rugged. A couple of months ago I went on a 27mile dice run with it. All of my friends had huge V-twin 650s, I was the little guy. My riding party was one of the more aggressive ones....we passed tons of people. Lots of water, mud, jumps, hills.....I kept up with the recon no problem. The only time I fell back was on extended hills or straightaways, but I caught back up as soon as the trail became tight again. There was a certain hill in particular that was pure mud, and a few riders were stuck part way up the other side...man they were not happy, swearing up a storm saying there should be alternate trails for 2wd machines. I've never heard so many F-bombs in my life. It felt great when I flew by those guys on my little 2wd recon....made it up the hill no problem, my tires are stock as well.

I'm not a tiny guy either...6ft 165lbs. I'm not huge though. My point is that the recon has been an impressive machine....it's simple but effective. They don't require much gas for a day's ride. Oh yeah, they're cheap too.

-sean

Quick Reply: Please Need help With Recon Buying Decision