Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

QUICK QUESTIONS ON A 2000 400EX !

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2000, 01:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HOLA,
Just a couple quick questions about my stock 400ex. First I am interested in running 22" Bandit XC's on the rears and I was wondering what sprocket changes if any would be necessary to keep the gearing similar to stock as I primarily ride tight trails and woods here in Missouri. Second, if I don't intend on diggin' into the engine to modify my quad is a slip on silencer worth it ? I could put the money into some PRM skids or something more useful if not.
Thanks in advance for any input !

Triston

Old 12-05-2000, 02:00 AM
Trailblazer

I have the 22" Bandits. From my experience, I've heard some people say that they dropped the front sprocket to a 14 tooth and it gives them back the power that they lose with these taller tires. I dropped one tooth further to a 13 tooth because I personally love the "torquy" feeling off the line. I also do a lot of trail riding and I don't get into my top end very often.

Old 12-05-2000, 02:06 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Redlin,

Thanks for the reply that is exactly the way I was going to go. How do you like the Bandits they seem bullet proof. With 13 tooth sprocket are the gears to short ? I am not concerned with top speed just keepin up or passing my buds on their shee's in the woods. I do wish the 400ex had reverse though!

Later,

Triston

Old 12-05-2000, 03:00 AM
Trailblazer

I love the Bandits. The extra clearance that they offer over the stock 20" tires was to me a neccessity on trails and woods type riding. As for the gears, they don't seem short at all. In fact, if you do the math, an RPM that gives you a speed of 50 MPH with the stock 20" tires and 15 tooth sprocket will give you 48 MPH with the 22" tires and 13 tooth sprocket. So as you can see, you're not losing much. To top it all off, they just plain look cool, especially on the machine. As for the comment on the reverse, I couldn't agree more. Some of my riding buddies have machines with reverse. They laugh at me anytime we have to turn around on tight trails, and I have to bail off my machine to muscle it around.

Old 12-05-2000, 01:17 PM
Trailblazer

I've went to 22 inchers also. Banging around on too many rocks with the 20's. I found the Bandits to be a little hard for my liking. They do look nice though. Ended up with Holeshot XCT's but I don't care for them either. I am going to try Maxxis All-Tracks next. They look like a good all-around tire. I wouldn't spend a dime towards the exhaust. Skids, twist throttle and steering dampener for me.

Hey Redline, where did you get your 13 tooth sprocket and is there enough adjustment in the chain as it is or did you have to take a link out of it?

Old 12-05-2000, 02:13 PM
Trailblazer

Well, a slip on will for sure add power to your quad. I would reccomend the Pro Circuit slip on. My buddy added one to his 400 and jetted it and it really woke it up! You can always add it later though, if you ride trails a lot i would probably add the skids first. But also, if your riding with Banshee's, you better hope you don't ride in very open areas or you will definetely need that slip on.

Nick

Old 12-05-2000, 04:42 PM
Trailblazer

TDBRPH where are you going to ride?.I live in clinton missouri and i go to deepwater alot.

Old 12-05-2000, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

Look in the "perfrmance mods & mechanical" forum. There's a topic about regearing (I think it's a guy that puts 25" tires on his shee). You'll have everything you need to gear you EX.
Get skidplates.

Old 12-05-2000, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Jab,
I ride mainly here in Columbia @ finger lakes every head this way let me know. I would like to check out Deepwater sometime as well I have some buds from the KC that come down here quite a bit and they seem to prefer Finger Lakes compared to Deepwater and that is the main reason I havent been up there yet.

Later,
Triston

Old 12-05-2000, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider

Good Question Derrick,

I was going to ask Redlin the same thing about the chain.

Later,
Triston

Quick Reply: QUICK QUESTIONS ON A 2000 400EX !