Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2001 Rubicon shifting problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 02:23 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Rubicon shifting problem

My husband has a 2001 Rubicon that has reciently started having the same problem I read about on alot of the post. It all started when we had to replace the battery last week. He rode the unit and while it was in the ESP position it would not shift out of 1st gear. If the key is turned on but the unit is not started everything seems fine. But once the unit is started all three of the indicator lights flash at the same time. "--", ESP, D!, D2. After doing some extensive checking he noticed that the system is not charging. So my question is this. If the rectifier is out, will this cause the shifting problem, and if it is replaced, does the shifting system need to be reset, or am I looking at another problem. I tried to watch for flashing to indicate a code as was discussed but Im not sure how to do this. Does the unit need to be started? Does it need to be in a certian shifitng positon. When It is started like I said all postitions flash but they continue to flash. No pause, No pattern. Just a steady flashing, nonstop. I don't mind taking it in to be repaired but the local dealer we have is not a reliable dealer and only has fly by night mechanics. So I know with him it is proubly going to be process of elimination which would be costly. Any help is appreciated. Sorry for being so long winded but I wanted to be as specific as possible. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-24-2006, 07:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

none

Old 10-24-2006, 09:27 AM
Pro Rider

ok if it is not charging then the ecm may not be getting a rpm signal from the stator, which maybe out. check all fuses and connectors make sure that there is no water in them.
Did you happen to cross the battery cables when installing the new battery? All else fails disconnect the battery and let sit for a few mintues and reconnect. If it was all working fine before the battery got replaced shouldn't need to reinlize the ecm.
All else fails go buy the manual, they are easy enough to use.

Old 10-24-2006, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider

none

Old 10-24-2006, 11:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

OK, flashing stopped, did the thing with holding the up and down arrows down, turning on the key etc. That worked. Is that what you were talking about on the Initializing thing. Husband and son checked the volts on the 5 pin connector on the rectifier. I don't think everything was right there but Im at work so I can't be sure. Hubby's at home. If I read correctly the only ohms they should get is on the 3. Not the ground or other one. Is that correct. Ohms should be between .1 to 1.0 correct. All of you have been really great help. THANKS SO MUCH!

Old 10-24-2006, 11:22 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Hope that was your problem sound like it was. Welcome to the forums Doc! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-24-2006, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider

none

Old 10-24-2006, 12:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok downloaded the link, When checking the regualtor/Rectifier Im not getting continuity between the green wire ternminal and the ground. So is this telling me that the Rectifier is bad or is that the stator out. Thanks for your help. For a woman I guess Im not doing too bad.

Old 10-24-2006, 06:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

GOT IT! It would have made things a whole lot eaiser on me if Hubby would have been home after I started getting answers. But he had to leave so I was in and out of the office to the house again. Anyway. Rectifier was bad. I just wanted to once again stress how greatful I am to everyone on this page that put in their imput. Exspecially you Honda Mechanic. I have been on alot of forums before and never have I had such quick, accurate responses with no hassle. Plus when some men find out Im a woman they seem to clam up with the attitude (SHE DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING) So once again, THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Old 10-24-2006, 06:32 PM
Pro Rider

none

Quick Reply: 2001 Rubicon shifting problem