Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

xr to ex

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2000, 10:59 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi i got a 97 xr 400 nad i know the engines are almost the same thing i was wondering if any one could tell me where i can find a rolling chase for about a grand thank

Sean
2000 mojave
1997 xr 440 fmf magamaxII and much more
i case your wondering why i want to change it its cuse i can ride my 4-wheeler at a almost pro level but the dirt bike might just kill me

Old 12-10-2000, 02:21 AM
Pro Rider

You'll run into a couple problems, first being the kickstarter, it kicks backward, interfering with the rear fenders as well as possibly hitting the ground before the end of it's stroke, as the quad doesn't have as much clearance as a bike...

2nd will be the lack of a counterbalancer.

3rd will be the carburetor, the XR's carb lacks an accelerator pump, throttle response may be sluggish for quad use...

4th will be that Honda beefed up the tranny gears in the EX, the XR gears my not be in for the long term.

You would probably be much better off selling the bike and putting that money toward a used quad.

Old 12-10-2000, 02:27 AM
Trailblazer

i can get the e-start no problem the counter blance and the gears are a little problem but im get a ex carb for like 50 bucks i just wanted to know if any one know where i can get a compleat frame

Old 12-10-2000, 02:40 PM
Pro Rider

Keep in mind that the e-starter is not a simple bolt on.... You will have to use at least the left hand case half for an EX, you will probably run into more details as well... If you are going to go that far, you might as well replace the other case half, the gearset, insert a counterbalancer, delete the kick starter and replace the right hand side cover plate.

What I was trying to say is that you'll probably spend the same amount of money or more (especially if you consider your time) and when you get done, you will kill the resale value (no one wants a transplant machine) of both the quad and the bike...

400EX's are still new enough that you will have a hard time finding a rolling chassis (plus, no one's taking the engines out and throwing the chassis away, maybe the other way around), trying to piece one together would end up costing at least twice to 3 times or more, what buying a complete one would.

If you are dead set on doing this, try some of the used places.... K&K ATV - CAL ATV - Hytech ATV - Burgard Cycle - Cycle Pros - etc... a few of them can be found on the web, several of them can be found in the back of an ATV magazine.

Good luck....