Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

450r newbie with questions???

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 10:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 450r newbie with questions???

Hi, i just bought an 06 450r...an upgrade from my 86 quadracer 250. I have a couple questions.

1. i got it for $4750, it needs a carb cleaning, a battery charge and a bath, its been sitting since march. did i get a good price and is there any other areas i should check (other than the obvious fluid)?

2. at idle, there is lower end noise, but i'm pretty sure it is normal. it goes away when riding. is this ok?

3. is it ok if i store it standing up on the rear bumper?

any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 11-25-2006, 01:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

1. Yes at least from what u are tellin us u got a good deal on it.

2. I am not really sure what u mean here because my friends is so loud that i can't hear anything else.

3. Just make sure that ur gas is off when u stand it up on the bumper so all of ur gas doesn't leak out. I would make sure that u either got the carborator cleaned or at least run some sea foam in it and that will clean ur carb right away.

Old 11-25-2006, 09:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

ok, maybe another dumb question...

what do i do if the electric start doesn't work, or if i have a dead battery and no way to jump it?

as far as the lower end noise, if i heard it in a car, i would call it piston slap or wrist pin noise. but i know the 450s have a short skirt and i think they have a needle bearing wrist pin, which is why i think the noise is "normal." at idle, with the stock exhaust, it isn't too loud, so you can get a good sense of sounds.

I'm going to change the oil today. seeing the condition the quad is in, i am pretty sure it was neglected...badly...i drained the carb and the gas was a lovely dark brown. i highly doubt the oil was changed...ever.

thanks.

Old 11-25-2006, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider

1.def do those things but make sure you know how many turns the jets in the carb are or else it sould throw off your jetting...Change the oil,oilfilter,sparkplug,clean the airfilter,adjust the chain to specs and clean and lube it,I would also check the bearings in the rear and repack them with grease,Also change the tranny oil and get the valves adjusted

2.The engine makes weird noises that you will have to get used to its just a very high compression engine that sounds weird but it should be fine

3. Well standing it up on the grab bar with no gas left in the carb may be fine but I am not so sure that oil won't come up from the crankcase hose and fill your airbox with oil...just to warn you

What i would do if the electric start doesn't work is push the quad or have someone tow you and have the bike in nuetral with the killswitch on and the key turned on and then when you have hit a good speed pop start the bike by kicking it into 1st gear.

You must maintain the bike let:

<u>oil check/change</u>
check- you should let the bike warm up first for a few minutes then shut it off...once you have shut the bike off let it sit for about 3 minutes and check the glass on the side of the engine...making sure that it is atleast between the l and h but you will need to be at the H level(make sure its on a level surface)

change-let the bike warm up for a few minutes and once it is shut off take the oil plug off of the side of the engine (the black thing that says oil) then take the plug out of the bottom and I would recommend replacing the copper washer on the bottom drain plug and also taking the skid plate off that way oil doesn't get trapped on it...once that is done with the killsitch off crank the engine over to push the rest of the oil out(all of this is being done on a level surface) then once all of that oil is drained take the oil filter out but make sure the oil filter is in the correct way or you can say by by to your engine...put everything back together and the quad should take about .82 or the quart of oil

<u>tranny oil </u>

check- Just like the engine oil you will need to let it warm up and be on a level surface...Once it is shut off take the oil plug for the tranny which is on the foot brake side and loosen it and there is a check bolt which is infront of the clutch cover its a 10mm bolt...now if oil doesn't come out of that hole then you will need to apply until you see some come out

change-after letting it warm up and sitting on level ground you will need to look for a drain bolt which is on the shift side of the engine just under the sprocket and your will want to drain that fluid and replace with new tranny oil

If you need some more info just let me know but make sure the valves are gapped right or you could be putting some money out of your pocket so I would check them along with this other stuff right away

Old 11-25-2006, 06:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

went over everything today, the oil looks ok but i'll change it anyway. any recommendations on what type/brand to use? i tried the sea foam, rode it around for a couple hours, but it still dies at idle, stalls and backfires alot. so i'll definately tear down the carb. also, after riding, the pipe was glowing red...this was at night. i guess thats normal, too??

but man, what a difference from the quadracer. i should have made this move alot sooner.

Old 11-25-2006, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider

I know the factory sets the quad lean so thats prob why its glowing...I use mobil 1 atv oil which is some pretty good stuff but some other guys on here use different stuff...make sure when you start the quad never give the quad gas while starting its very very bad for the quad there is a throttle control sensor on the carb thats why and you can wind up screwing up the engine...make sure you let it warm up a while with the choke on and if all of the gas was bad like you said and you drained the tank and carb correct...just make sure your quad is getting enough fuel but it sounds like the jets are clogged up let me know how you make out...I just rode mine today for about 3 hours and love it it reminds me of a 2 stroke and sometimes sounds like one(I have the stock pipe) and man is it quick...wish ya luck with it and any other ?'s about it just let me know...if you have an email just pm me and I can send you some stuff from the service manual about maintanance and such