Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

rancher or foreman?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 06:10 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rancher or foreman?

well, we're looking to get a rancher or foreman if we do go with honda since im assuming they'd be a lot cheaper than the rincon or rubicon...

our plans are probably to snorkel it and basically make it a submarine...big tires, big lift......just basically deck it out with the top of the line stuff.....

now, im thinking we should probably go with tthe foreman since it will have a bigger engine but im not positive but i think warn makes a 4x2 select thing for the rancher so you can choose between 4x4 and 4x2.....am i right about this? if they make it, do they make it for the foreman too?

we will be going in DEEP water and mud and it will be used so im hoping on getting a good one....and how much do you think ill be look at for a used one but in decent shape? thanks

Old 12-17-2006, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider

you could get a 06 rancher around 4000 give or take 500. the new 420 ranchers are coming out now, and they are pretty bad @ss, efi, disc brakes,liquid cooled, new displays, 2x4 shifter(factory), and most importantly, 420cc!!!!!

Old 12-17-2006, 08:31 PM
Range Rover

well...when we went shopping, the ranchers were starting at a little over 5000 dollars....i dont think im going to go new....i think im gonna go with an older one.....if i do get an older one.....what year do you think i should look at to where the quad still gets up and goes....my neighboors big bear 350 is insanily slow but it is a 1997 so if i got a foreman 500....i dont want it to be slow.....or a rancher 400....its gotta be faster than my 250...thast all i want and the 4x4 lol

Old 12-18-2006, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider

You can forget about making the 400 AT a mudder. It is not going to turn bigger tires in the mud.

Old 12-18-2006, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider

ive seen a lotta like 03-04 foreman 450s that were pretty bad mudders and they arnt the fastest but they arnt slow and they have alotta low power for turnin those bigger tires and used theyre pretty cheap around here and really reliable too

Old 12-22-2006, 08:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

im not sure where you are in new jersey and the drive might be alittle much but there was a place in virgina having a pretty good sale with 06 foreman 500 4x4 es for 5399 and 06 350 ranchers for 3999. i just went and picked up a foreman the other day there pretty nice people and a good used one wont be much cheaper then that.

Old 12-22-2006, 08:27 PM
Range Rover

well...i found that the foremans and ranchers were cheaper used but if i payed a little more for an AC, it'd be worth it...sorry.....lol....i know hondas are reliable and all but for what im gonna be going through, i could use the extra clearance with the AC's.......i like their 4x2/4x4 push button selectable and diff. locks.....im going down to an AC dealer tomorrow to check out what they have.....what they look like and how hard it'd be to snorkel out....

i just watched a video where an AC made it through a dried out pit no problem but the honda foreman got stuck (bottomed out) PRIME example of why i need/want to get an AC but if i dont, i'll probably be going with a foreman...

Old 12-23-2006, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want a mud machine you can't go wrong with an Artic crap. That is one of their strongest suits. Just make sure you get one with enough power.

Old 12-23-2006, 02:55 AM
Trailblazer

Recon250Submarine .. DO NOT judge what quad you're going to buy off of some stupid video. If its clearance you want. Then get an AC. Personally, i think a 500 Foreman would do just fine, considering the aftermarket stuff you plan on putting on it. Make sure you test drive both. And the AC is pretty much only good for mudding and attachments. So forget trail riding, etc... Good luck, be smart, dont limit yourself, and merry christmas.

Old 12-23-2006, 11:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honda and Suzuki are the only brand i've ever owned they're both great quad's , i bought a 2006 Arctic Cat 400 auto fis Feb. 7th 2006 , it's a great trail machine it has the Suzuki Duramatic belt driven clutch system . On my first ride i took it through a creek with water up to the bottom of the headlight's with no problem ! This is the first belt drive atv i've ever owned , i never thought i would ever own a quad with belt drive untill i got this Cat ; the only reason i bought this quad was that my dealer told me they hadn't had any belt clutch issues since the 2001's came out ! I knew the dealer personally so i trusted them to tell me the truth about their quads , i've rode trail's that my brother bottomed out on his Honda Foreman where i could just straddle the rock's or stump's the foreman got hung up on ! The 400 isn't as fast as the 500 or 650 H1 or the new 700 EFI's but they will go anywhere the 700's will go just not as fast ! So anyone who say's the Cat's are no good for trail riding doesn't know what they are talking about ! Test ride them both and choose the one you like best, the Cat's have 2x4/4x4 push botton on handle bar's diff/loc lever on handle bar's 12 inch ground clearance four wheel indepenant suspenition and if you don't like auto drive you can get them in manual shift also ! So try them all and then choose the one you like best ! ....................williebee

Quick Reply: rancher or foreman?