Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rincon Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 11:42 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rincon Questions

Hello all. I am going to be in the market for a new quad next year. I like the looks of the Rincons. I have heard that they do not have a low range or a locker up front. I am really concerned about the bike not having low range. Is this a major drawback for the bike? I would think so, but I am not familiar with them. I live in Colorado and will be doing alot of trail riding at highaltitudes up steep inclines. I am just concerned without a low range the bike will not cut the mustard.....school me......

Also, is not having a locker in the front a drawback? I currently own a Polaris so I am used to always having the front end locked even though I might not necisarily need it.....

Old 12-26-2006, 11:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Rincon Questions

I've ridden around on a Rincon a bit, and I'd have to say that yes, not having a low range and not having a locker is a disadvantage, but how critical it is depends on your taste and riding style.

Up any hill isn't a problem, as the thing seems to make power/torque at pretty low RPM. Going down a steep hill, though, my Foreman (or a Rubicon) will hold 1-2 MPH with just engine braking. Trying the same hill on the Rincon with only engine braking resulted in about 7 MPH, so if the decent is technical enough, you will need to use the brakes.

Locker wise, Honda's system will transfer power to the wheel with traction under most conditions, but it seems to have a delay. When trying to climb a steep hill of loose dirt and rocks, it seems like 3 tires spin, you loose momentium, and then it sends power to the front tire that has traction after the other 3 have already dug in and burried...

The Rincon is a nice quad, with a really plush ride over rough stuff, and good handling, but I wish it had a low range, locker, and a bit more power.

Old 12-27-2006, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rincon Questions

First off I own a Rincon. It doesn't have the low range, but how low do you need? I can go up nearly vertical hills, pull my 3500lbs + boat (don't do this often with any quad). And wheelie very easily. Now going down hills there isn't enough gearing with the automatic for engine braking. But the brakes work well. If your really interested in the Rincon, go to RinconRiders.com. This site is the best for a Rincon. There are several people from Colorado on there. Check it out.

Old 12-27-2006, 12:26 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Rincon Questions

Yeah.

I didn't mean for my post to sound too negative. I'm thinking about buying a 2nd quad this spring, and the Rincon is on my short list.

Just don't expect it to tractor down a steep technical hill w/o using brakes, and there is a situation once in a while where having a manual locker would make a difference.

On the positive side, there is no beating the ride, fit and finish are excellent, reliablity seems to be excellent, and overall the engineering seems highly refined.

Old 12-27-2006, 08:31 PM
Range Rover
Default Rincon Questions

Thanks guys for the info. I am seriously considering a Rincon because I am hearing of the new 700 Grizzlys having boiling gas issues. If they are burning oil I will definitely NEVER buy one.

I think I can live with an LSD in the front but I am very concerned that I will not be able to live without a low range. Being in the CO mountains you have some really long and steep hills...I am just wondering if it will have enough courage to climb the hills I want it to. I wish I knew someone out here that owned one I could try out.

Old 12-27-2006, 08:32 PM
Range Rover
Default Rincon Questions

Rinman I looked at rinconriders.com. Do you have to join thier site to be able to view the forums regularly? The way they have it set up I can only view the active and latest topics....really screwy....

Old 12-27-2006, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rincon Questions

If you think that it will not have enough power to go up a hill then you are dead wrong. If you plan to put 29" tires on it and run in 3 foot deep mud with the consistency of concrete then you may have a problem.
It actually has 3 ranges: low, medium, and high
Otherwise known as 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.
I love mine.

Old 12-27-2006, 10:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Rincon Questions

Like formandan said it has 3 gears. In 1st gear it is PLENTY low enough to go up ANY hill and it will still pull 1200lbs. It has the low gearing but its just different from other quads that have low and high. As for the locker it really does not need one because of the torque sensing diff. If you tap the front brake it will lock up and spin all 4 tires till you let off the throttle. I can climb a tree with one wheel going up once I hit the brake. I can go anywhere my Polaris can go. I dont think having a locker or low should be a major concern with the rincon. The 680 has plenty of power. It will hang with a sp800 pretty good.

Old 12-27-2006, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rincon Questions

I'm really not sure about what non members can view, Just sign up. Its a great site even if you don't have or get a Rincon. My user name on there is Rincon Kelly. I don't post alot but visit it about twice a week just to keep up. Check out my new wheels in the products section.
But as stated before there is a regular on there that lives in Colorado.
As far as hills go If I start on a steep part, then I leave in first gear but usually will shift on the way up. Depends on how fast I want to go. I have never had a problem with bogging down unless I don't downshift from 3rd. Most of the time I never use first, and just pull out in 2nd. On dirt or gravel it will spin the tires from a stop in 2nd.
I ride with Foreman Dan and have ridden his 06, it has more power than mine. So I really don't think you would have a problem, but I don't ride in the kind of elavations that you will be riding at. I don't get over 6500ft.

Old 12-27-2006, 11:38 PM
Range Rover
Default Rincon Questions

What speed does the engine redline in first? I am assuming then that 1st is an ultra low gear and 2nd and 3rd are what are used most for riding. Is this correct?

2manytoys is 1200lbs what it is rated to pulll? That is the same as a Sportsman so that seems right to me. It makes sense if that 1st gear is an ultra low. I though it was like a car or something and just had a normal 1st gear not an ultra low???

Is Honda planning on coming out with a big bore that has a low range any time soon? What is the advantage with the automatic vs a cvt tranny?

I am thinking I can live with the Honda LSD instead of a locker.....I am thinking I would VERY rarely use a locker anyway.....

I am just afraid to take a chance on the Grizz 700 and have it turn out to be a gas boiling, oil burning machine. I know the Honda will be stone dead reliable.....

Sorry for all the ?'s guys...Thanks for all of the good info!!

Quick Reply: Rincon Questions