Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

what atv should i get?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2000, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok,,,im posting this in this forum becuase if i put it in the yamaha or polaris forum,,,you know what they will pick

what should i get? a polaris scrambler or a yamaha banshee?

im 15,about 6 feet and baout 175 pounds.....i havent owned a atv or any motor whecicle before

umm,,the riding i will be doing is in small small dunes,trails,,power lines(wide open areas of grass and sand).......

i want to go fast(fast enough to beat my freind kawai lakota 300 and my other freinds 01' 400EX.........but coming close is cool also

so what hsould i get? if any of those arent good then what quad? i rode my freinds lakota and it just wasnt fast enough for me,,i had it wide open and still had plenty of room and wanted to go faster so it must be faster then the lakota.........

i relaly wanted the banshee........and scrambler,,,but i dont like the idea of the no shifting on the polaris,,,,thats one part for me that makes it fun to,,shifting threw all the gears

anyways,,,,what should i do? im not oging to have a millin dollars to buy one,,,,maybe 4G's the most(financing)

ok,,,thanks

Old 12-12-2000, 07:03 PM
Range Rover

The Banshee is better than the polaris but neither will keep up with the 400EX the banshee is a 2 stroke which requires lots of maintenace if you ride alot I would suggest a four stroke much more reliable one of the honda ex models are good but i think yamaha makes a warrior thats 4 stroke

Old 12-12-2000, 07:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well man if you are wanting a 4 wheeler that will beat your friends lakota and 2001 400ex then you might want to go with a 2001 Honda 400ex or a 300ex except for both of them are over $4,000. The 400ex is $5,699 and the 300ex is $4,799. I was wanting a 2001 Rancher 4x4 ES but now I am going to go with a 2001 Honda XR400R off road motorcycle instead of an atv. I don't know how fast your friends Lakota is but I know the 400ex will go atleast 60MPH. You might want to go with the 2001 Rancher 2 wheel drive foot shift that I heard went about 54MPH. Sorry I couldn't really help you.

Old 12-12-2000, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider

Neither the Banshee or the Scrambler will keep up with an EX? You must get some seious bud down there in Florida.

Both will trounce an EX, but for the riding you described, you'd probably be better off with the Banshee.

Old 12-12-2000, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

Neither the Banshee or the Scrambler will keep up with an EX? You must get some seious bud down there in Florida.

Both will trounce an EX, but for the riding you described, you'd probably be better off with the Banshee.

Old 12-12-2000, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

Really were just helpin ya know right? It's all up to you in the end. Being under 16, I wasn't allowd to test ride at dealers, so I made some friends back were everyone rides. My impressions were as such:
400ex-- Awesome wheelies, great jumps, reliable, fast, pure sporty style, light
Banchee-- very fast, 2-stroke( I din't like that tho)
Scrambler(500)-- Put it this way- [I was really only like 25% into sportish style( but still wanted speed).] SO- ultimate trail bike that can really go through the most,figured it's on the heavy side so just go for the 4x4, 4-stroke, easiest to ride, best AWD.
MY CHOICE-> Scrambler 500 4x4
I love it! I was the same way, I was also thinking that no shifting = no fun, but the second I opened this thing up, I went flying, and TOTALY forgot about the no shifting thing. In fact, i like it better. I go where the guys on the Banchees and 400 ex's can't, BUT thats MY style of riding. When I go riding, i LOVE blasting up muddy hills in AWD.
On the other hand this is only MY OPINION. If you desire more of a true sport bike, then the Banchee is more for you. If you want a rare blend that is in between, then go with the Scrambler. It's all up to you and your money.

Old 12-12-2000, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

you said you were going to ride mostly in sand so i would go with the banshee it would be the best for the sand second the 400ex would do allright in sands and from the reveiws i see in magizine the scrambler is the slowest out of the big bore sport quads (because of its weight)

i would go with the banshee, yes it takes alot of matinence but when its rnnning mean nothings gunna beat it in the sand

Old 12-12-2000, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

yeah.....i was sorta still leaning towards the banshee......

i mean.....i just like two-strokes better...i like thier sound and everything better......

and for maitnence......i dont mind....i owuld love to work on it....****,,im paying for this wiht my own money,,you better belive it will stay like new( even if it is used)

although i would love to get the 400EX...i can relaly afford it unless i find a good deal on one.......

but on a banshee,,i herd you have to ride it hard and its beter for the engine.....does this mean im gonna have to ride it as fast as i could most of the time.....or could i just like keep it in 3rd or 4th and just cruise around?

the scramble......well im still gonna have to look at it....its super heavy and everything,,,,maybe i oculd test ride it somewhere and see if i like the "no shifting" thing it has on it

thanks everyone!

Old 12-13-2000, 01:18 PM
Range Rover

I own a Warrior. It's perfect for what I use it for. If I was more into performance, I'd get a 400ex. Not even a question.
If I had to chose a 2stroke ( I like 4 strokes ), I'd get the Banshee. Especially for dunes.