Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

grips

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 12:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grips

Anyone have tips on installing new grips? I have used grip glue but the grips still twist after several rides. Someone told me to use old fashion hairspray, anyone tried that?

Old 12-29-2006, 01:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default grips

I doubt hairspray will hold the grips if the grip glue won't. I have been toying with the idea of replacing the grips on my Rancher for something a little more comfortable than the stock ones.

My guess would be to try some type of two-part epoxy glue if the grip glue doesn't work. Have you tried roughing up the bar where the grip slides on so that the glue would have a rougher texture to adhere to?

Maybe someone with more knowledge will jump in here but I doubt hairspray will hold any better.

Old 12-29-2006, 04:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default grips

Two things you can do to keep them in place. The first (and I think best) is to use double sided masking tape. I assemble golf clubs, and I use the same tape that is used to keep grips on clubs. You can probably get it at any golf supply place (or maybe Walmart). I order my supplies from Golfsmith. You also need "grip solvent", though any paint thinner type solvent should work. Just wet the tape, and slide on the grips. When the solvent dries, the grips should be there forever.

If you don't want to go through all that trouble, then spray some black spray-paint inside the grips and slide them on. After the paint dries, it will keep the grips on for a while.

Old 12-29-2006, 05:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default grips

just make sure that the bar ends are as clean as you can get them and dry them. then just slop a ton of the glue in the grip and LET IT DRY. most of my problems like this have come from riding too soon.
i have a buddy that does what ddomma does and it works very well if the grips are a nice tight fit, probably better than the glue.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default grips

Thanks for the tips.
I went to my local motorcycle shop and purchased a set of Rogue grips, no glue needed, they just clamp on and look cool.

Old 12-29-2006, 09:09 PM
Range Rover
Default grips

1. clean the bars with something like acetone or starting fluid or brake cleaner.

2. squirt around inside up the grip some 3M weather strip adhesive "gorila snot" then slide the grip onto the bars.

3. safety wire the grips on. at each end and in the middle. allot of grips even have grooves for the safety wire in them. you just do a sigle loop around the grip and twist the wire about a half a dozzen times ,and not to tight or it will cut into the grip. then snip off the extra wire and tap the sharp pointy end into the nice soft rubber so it dont poke you.

thats how you put on a set of grips on a race bike. works better than anything.

Old 12-29-2006, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider
Default grips

First, Grip glue sucks
Second, Hairspray works, just let it dry
Third, If you epoxy your grips on, how are you going to replace your grips when they wear out again?

Old 12-29-2006, 10:05 PM
Range Rover
Default grips

are you asking me?

if you are ,i dont use epoxy..?

i use weather strip adhesive. check it out at a parts house some time. it is sort or a rubber cement but it dries hard and prety quick. i have it around because it is used to hold some rubber gaskets in place when building certain engines. it's good stuff. it's called gorila snot for slang. beacuse it is very sticky and a brite yellow color. 3M brand is the one to use.

as far as geting grips off i do it the same way i allways do it with any grip. i cut a slice down it with my pocket knife and rip it off ...piece of cake.

Old 12-29-2006, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default grips

Naww, ddrumman was thinking about using the epoxy. I thought my 16 yr old son was crazy about the hairspray thing, but it works... You just have to let it dry. I hate it when he's right. I tried different grip glues and they suck. As for getting the grips off, when I'm ready to replace my grips I take the air compressor and blow air in one end of the handlebars and it litterally blows the grip off the other side. Change sides and repeat.

Old 12-30-2006, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider
Default grips

hairspray does work it is what i use alot better then grip glue just let it dry and as long as water doesnt get under your grips your fine

Quick Reply: grips