Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Newbie 05 TRX 450

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 01:47 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie 05 TRX 450

Sup guy,

I just got my quad last night, I wanted to know how to brake it in? I will be going to Glamis in two weeks I just needed to know what I need to do so it can be ready.

Old 01-23-2007, 08:53 AM
Trailblazer

try not to keep it at a steady speed for any extended period of time and avoid pinning that throttle for the first ten or so hours. Most of all, change that frickin oil! I think the recommendation for oil changes on the 450R are like every 5 or so hours. Just check you manual for oil change intervals and break-in info.

Old 01-23-2007, 08:54 AM
Trailblazer

And oh yeah....have fun at Glamis you lucky pr1ck.

Old 01-23-2007, 09:07 AM
Pro Rider

Welcome to the forums and have fun with the bike...Ride the bike like you stole it, the reason you want to do this is to make the rings seat right in the cylinder and when it is new is the best time to do so...The oil should be changed about every five hrs and make sure you put the oil filter in the correct way since poeple have been blowing up their engines...also don't buy a K&N since they allow too much dirt to get into the titanium valves and you can ruin your engine...also keep a log of how long you ride and when your oil changes were, it'll be pretty useful...wish ya uck with the bike and be safe

Old 01-23-2007, 12:10 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the Motoman method of break-in, to seat the rings properly: http://mototuneusa.com/thanx.htm

I seat mine by doing a few hillclimbs. I go up fast, then come down again using lots of compression braking (again, using the pressure to seat the rings). I do that a couple of times then park it and cool it down, then do it all again. I do that for several times, then I just ride it normally but taking it easy (now you are breaking in the bearings), varying the speed a lot, and not riding for any really long periods of time without a cool down.

>>>I say go out to Hungry Valley, and do the initial break-in on those really steep hill climbs that are just south of Sterling Canyon Campground! Resist the temptation to do any riding until you have done that first, you will just ruin your rings if you do!!!<<<

I change the oil/oil filter and trans at 1 hour, to get any metal shavings out of the engine first thing. Then I change it again at 5 and 10 hours, after that I switched to Maxima Extra, ester synthetic oil in both the engine and transmission sides.

Run at least an extra 100 cc's of oil in the trans....after oil comes out of the weep hole. Some of the gears are only lubed by splash, and that will insure that they are never left high and dry!

Adjust your valves at least twice as often as you think you need to!

Old 01-23-2007, 01:50 PM
TPR
The Champ

Having spoken to my father in law who has built many Indycar engines, most recently Honda, they never, ever baby a motor, because you will end up with less power in the end.

They do their own version of the Motoman method, but that's how I have always broken in the motor. The more variety you throw into the break in period, load, coast change of pace, the better the motor will be suited for the way people actually ride.

TPR

Old 01-23-2007, 02:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

First of all thanks for all replys. I just found out that I will be going to El Mirage (pardon the spelling) on sunday. They told me it's a dry lake bed, is theres any hillclimb there? Oh and another question I have a chance to get free pipes and I was wondering which one I should get? My friend said I should get a Pro Circuit exhaust, but aren't those loud for Gormen and El Mirage? Now moving on to paddles, which ones 8,10,12? What brand?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-23-2007, 04:47 PM
Red Rider

El Mirage is a flat lake bed. There are some hills, but they are more rocky and technical, slower stuff. Personally, I like to break-in climbing hills, becuase it loads the engine more than flat ground. And, the compression braking going back down the hill helps as well.
As for paddles, I am running Skat-Trak 8-paddle Edges (V-shaped), and am pleased with them. I like the old fashion buffed down scats because they are lighter than the current crop of molded tires that are out there. I mounted mine on ITP T9 rims, which are wider than stock and have a greater offset, so the quad ends up wider, for a nice increase in stability!
Also, I find the stock tires are pretty lame. Replaced mine with ITP Holeshot XC's, which are the best desert tires I have found! Absolutely indestructible! Mounted them on ITP Baja rims, and again the quad ends up wider for some increased stability. I have the ITP TracStar radials on the kids quads (the radials REALLY improve the ride!), and they are great so I am going to experiment with them on the bigger quads sometime soon.

Old 01-23-2007, 04:52 PM
Red Rider

Some great oil info. Everything that goes for the Honda 450/250 dirt bikes, also goes for your new quad: http://www.thumperfaq.com/oil.htm

You are going to be best off with a fairly frequent oil change schedule. I don't want to turn this into an oil thread, because there are so many of them on the board already. Do a search of "450R and oil", and you will come up with lots of info, and usually lots of controversy as well.........

Old 01-23-2007, 11:41 PM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Paddles: Skat Trak Haulers, 22x11x9 - 8 paddle works great for me!