Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda Foreman front shakes bad. Please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 02:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Foreman front shakes bad. Please help

I Tried changeing the tires and wheels and put them on anouther atv and there fine. I also tried setting it up of the ground and running it and it does some crazy shaking around 25 mph. The whole atv shakes so I cant tell whats making it happen. I just got it back from the shop again and the said for me to put the drive shaft back in and see if mabe the warn 424 is the problem. They said every thing checked out like a new one but cant under stand what the prob is. Im really lost here. I almost want to sell the thing but its the best wheeler Ive ever owned. Oh I also was told the lift kit could have something to do with it. The only problem I have with all this guessing is that I have a freind who has the same wheeler with the same mods with no problems at all. I put all his mods on along with mine. Im no mechanic but the mechanics cant even figure out this one. I will let you know what the problem is as soon as I find out. The only thing I know to do Is process of elimation. I guess Ill get to it and thanks for all the help.

Old 01-29-2007, 02:29 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it still shake if you have it in neutral, and rev it up to the RPM where it would be at ~30 mph???? Does this engine have a counter balancer???? Motor mounts ok????

Old 01-29-2007, 02:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

It want be the motor mounts I thought of that and its fine but I just got a little good news i hope. I just took it down the road and no shakeing. I dont understand. It just stoped. If it stays that way fine with me but i bet it starts back. Its just ever since it started it done it every time. I hope this is the end of my problems. I was told that one tire was grabin caused by the front diff making it shake. I was told to just ride it. Does this sound right to you. I was always told if its broke fix it or youll have bigger probs done the road.

Old 01-29-2007, 03:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

The wheel and tire on the right hand side seemed to wobble even with the factor wheels and tires. It does it going down the road or jacked up. But it does feel like it grabin because the faster I go the worse it gets. Im prayin its fixed. I also thing of havein a front diff. locker installed. Will this cause any probs or can you recommend one that will make it a true 4wheel drive?

Old 01-29-2007, 04:16 PM
Red Rider

Did you catch what I said above about adding a friction modifier to the front diff??? (That is only if it is the old style diff, and not if it is the newer torque sensing diff.) Dealer should know about this as there was a Honda sevice bulletin about it.....I guess more than one person must have had problems with them being grabby......

Or, maybe you got some Mississippi mud/water into your front diff??????? Changed the oil in there lately???

I say ride a quad with front lockers before you jump in and do that. The several quads I have ridden that had it, had me holding onto those handlebars like they were the horns of a bull!!!

Old 01-29-2007, 04:20 PM
Red Rider

I posted this for you: http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...did/510958.cfm

Old 01-29-2007, 05:50 PM
Red Rider

Looks like you have the old style diff. New one didn't get introduced on the Foreman until 02. My buddy has the old one on his 300, and I am absolutely not impressed with its performance. Get a wheel in the air, and it will spin like carzy.......

Old 01-30-2007, 10:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well the foreman still shakes. I bet its the front diff. Where do i get these friction modifiers and how hard are they to install. Like i said Im no mechanic but i did do all my mod like the 424, pipe, jetting the carb, brakes, bearings, and other little thing that where not all that hard to figure out. I change the oil around once a month. Just changed it about a week or so back. I dont know why these shops around here havent figured this out yet. Is there a way to tell if this is the problem for sure? I know it cant be to much more wrong i have just about replace everything.

1999 honda foreman 450ex
HMF pipe
warn 424
jetted
winch
2in lift
snorkel
itp polished wheels
itp 589s 28s
K&N air filter

Old 01-30-2007, 12:10 PM
Red Rider

The "friction modifier" is just an additive that you add to the oil in your front diff. It makes the clutces a little more slippery, so they don't stick together.....pretty simple fix if that is the problem. PM "HondaMechanic" from this thread (http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...did/510958.cfm), if your dealer doesn't know anything about what to use or how much.

I had this problem with the front diff on my truck........so I know from experience! Let us know if it helps.........

Old 01-30-2007, 12:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

One other thing I seen today. I was looking at the rear wheels and it kinda looks like it out of line. Is this possible? Well not really the wheels, the whole rear end. Looks like its not running straight. Mabe Im just looking to hard for something to be wrong. I wish this nightmare would come to a end.

Quick Reply: Honda Foreman front shakes bad. Please help